Uv lights

ThatGuyTortoise

Hi everyone i have a tortoise his name is Sheldon he is hatchling sulcata tortoise and I wanted to know does he need a heat lamp and a uv light or not .He seems to be fine he's very active and sleeps a normal amount in his hide. This is his enclosure so far ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471296598.830459.jpg
So should I purchase it or will my little guy do fine without it?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Heat, yes. For sure. Gradients will be hard in a small enclosure. You will also want deeper substrate with more moisture to get the humidity up. I like small tanks to start off, but plan on moving to at least a 40 Breeder within a month and that may last a year.

If he isn't outside a couple times a week for 30 minutes or more, yes, a UVB light will be needed. I like the cfl coil bulbs and they really are safe despite the rumors. But, you can choose linear florescent bulbs as well. A MVB will likely be too hot in a small set up.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello ! i agree with Brian, heat is a definite. Same with the UVB. Unless your tort gets direct sunlight a couple hours a week then a uvb inside will be needed.
In addition to needing more substrate, putting a lid (creating a closed chamber enclosure) will help raise and maintain humdiity.
If you have not already, please take the time to read our caresheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please ask as many questions as needed. And we would enjoy pictures of your tortoise also:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, you'll find lots of valuable help and advice here from very experienced keepers.
If you use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) you get heat, light and uvb in one bulb - they are very easy to use. Arcadia is the brand I use. At night torts like darkness to sleep so I I use a Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat which switches it on and off as temps rise and fall. Where are you located?
Some like coiled bulbs but there are many stories here about them damaging torts eyes and not all bad stock was removed from shops so I personally wouldn't gamble with my torts eyes.
What are you using for substrate? Your tort may find it easier to access his water if you sink his dish level with the substrate. Many use terracotta plant sauces as these are shallow and less risk of flipping backwards and drowning but yours doesn't look too steep, - just keep an eye on him to make sure he manages OK. Some plants will help humidity and make him feel more secure - see thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants, but your tank isn't very big so you will probably need to change before too long.

Last edited:

ThatGuyTortoise

Hi everyone thank you for the replies and I have a question is this heat lamp good or is it fine ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471301589.965771.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471301611.081174.jpg
Not to sure what kind it is though
And I'm located in Arizona

itiswhatitis

Hi everyone thank you for the replies and I have a question is this heat lamp good or is it fine View attachment 183754View attachment 183755
Not to sure what kind it is though
And I'm located in Arizona

Looks like a 65 flood light buld but unscrew and tell us what the buld says on sides. Looks like a 65 flood light buld but unscrew and tell us what the buld says on sides. Either way 10 gallon is far from enough. The bulb is going to heat the entirety of the tank the same degrees. The whole tank is going to be a basking spot !!! You sure you don't have any storage tubs around the house ? You should at least get one. They are very cheap !!!

And is that lettuce on the rock ?

Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is it just a heat bulb or uvb too?
I like to use a wide dome with my bulbs as I learned here that that the deep domes can make bulbs overheat and burn out quickly and so far so good.
Depending on where you are and your night temps you may need a CHE too

ThatGuyTortoise

The Rock is cabbage and a little bit of tortoise pellets and the sides say nothing and I did find a good light thank you all for these responses and I you have all awnsered my questions thank you

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco