UVA/UVB Question

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I am slowly starting to buy all of the products I need to set up my enclosure inside before I go hunting for my new friend.

I was going to start purchasing lights today but realized I am a bit confused. Everything I have read is UVB, but they sell UVB and UVA in the reptile sections... I was going to find one that is UVA/UVB but I can't... I can only find them separate... do I need one of each bulb? Or just a UVB?

What is the different between the two?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Simply put, UVA is heat and B is what they need for vitamin D. Regular light bulbs provide uva. Mercury Vapor and the specialty tube bulbs provide UVB. MVB bulbs provide both. Tubes provide little heat.
Do not use the coil bulbs. If your enclosure is big enough an MVB is the only light you would need. They put off a lot of heat though so overheat small enclosures. Then you need the tubes with a separate heat source.
Hope this help and isn't just more confusing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am slowly starting to buy all of the products I need to set up my enclosure inside before I go hunting for my new friend.

I was going to start purchasing lights today but realized I am a bit confused. Everything I have read is UVB, but they sell UVB and UVA in the reptile sections... I was going to find one that is UVA/UVB but I can't... I can only find them separate... do I need one of each bulb? Or just a UVB?

What is the different between the two?

What species and what size tortoise? There are many heating and lighting products and strategies.

You might not need any artificial UV if your tortoise can get outside in a safe enclosure a few times a week for most of the year.

To answer your specific question, don't worry about UVA. UVB is what they need to prevent MBD.

Also, I would not take advice from a pet store. This will likely result in a second trip to the pet store to return all the wrong stuff they sell you after we tell you why it is bad. I'd love to save you a trip. Most of what you need will be found better and cheaper at the hardware store.

Last edited:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Check out petmountain.com for reptile supplies. They have good prices. Also Amazon.com has good deals on supplies.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
What species and what size tortoise? There are many heating and lighting products and strategies.

You might not need any artificial UV if your tortoise can get outside in a safe enclosure a few times a week for most of the year.

To answer your specific question, don't worry about UVA. UVB is what they need to prevent MBD.

Also, I would not take advice from a pet store. This will likely result in a second trip to the pet store to return all the wrong stuff they sell you after we tell you why it is bad. I'd love to save you a trip. Most of what you need will be found better and cheaper at the hardware store.

I will be getting a Russian Tortoise and it will be a hatchling.

I certainly know to avoid pet stores at all costs. I usually don't even shop there anymore. I am shopping online at amazon and petmountain. I've found the best prices at both. I did realize the "human" UVB bulbs for your house (tube type) are a bit cheaper than the reptile ones, there is no harm correct?

For a heat light, the smaller the wattage the less heat, correct?

Also I live in Idaho, they can be outside about 3 to 4 months of the year. As for the winter we get a lot of snow were I am at so they'll be inside all of the snow months.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
Simply put, UVA is heat and B is what they need for vitamin D. Regular light bulbs provide uva. Mercury Vapor and the specialty tube bulbs provide UVB. MVB bulbs provide both. Tubes provide little heat.
Do not use the coil bulbs. If your enclosure is big enough an MVB is the only light you would need. They put off a lot of heat though so overheat small enclosures. Then you need the tubes with a separate heat source.
Hope this help and isn't just more confusing.

No confuse at all, I understand that perfectly, thank you!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

I certainly know to avoid pet stores at all costs. I usually don't even shop there anymore. I am shopping online at amazon and petmountain. I've found the best prices at both. I did realize the "human" UVB bulbs for your house (tube type) are a bit cheaper than the reptile ones, there is no harm correct?

For a heat light, the smaller the wattage the less heat, correct? Yes

Also I live in Idaho, they can be outside about 3 to 4 months of the year. As for the winter we get a lot of snow were I am at so they'll be inside all of the snow months.
I am in Spokane WA. We're neighbors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

For a heat light, the smaller the wattage the less heat, correct?

Human bulbs are not made to give off the correct UV spectrum, so no, they will not work for you.

To adjust the heat under your basking bulb, you can raise or lower the fixture, raise or lower the wattage use a rheostat for regular incandescent bulbs. Can't use a rheostat on a mercury vapor bulb.

Amyjoe09

So you can't use a human UVB light? Mine is over a year old and im going to get a new one...