UVB Fixture and bulb recommendation 4x4 enclosure

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I bought my Redfoot Charlotte a Zoo Med Reptisun Terrarium Hood 36" and it's AWFUL. I mean, I can't even get it to turn on anymore and I bought this thing three weeks ago. My Redfoot is currently sitting in the dark right now because of this piece of crap.

Now I'm in search of another UVB light fixture but I'm not quite sure what to purchase. Any suggestions? My enclosure is 4x4 and 16" tall. The light fixture would be about 14" from the ground, and I would like one as soon as possible!!!

Pictures included. Any suggestions on creating some sort of plexiglass top would also be much appreciated. I'm not quite sure how I would do it.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 20

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would exchange it for another one or perhaps the tube went bust.
For your size enclosure and mounting height Zoomed T8 10% would be my preferred choice. Perhaps even two.
5% is ok too but would need to be placed few inches lower.
T5H0 fixture/tube may be too bright for red foot unless heavily diffused with plants. The animal may avoid it.

Plexiglass top is good idea but you will need to make a frame for it as it will bend without it. I would do two pieces 4x2 each for easy access. The UVB light needs to be under the plexiglass as it would block all the UVB rendering it useless.

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Nah the reviews for this product all warned me that it flickers when you touch it, some customers had to tape the light down, etc. so I think I'm completely done with the fixture and will not exchange it for a new one. My mistake.

Any recommendations for fixtures or hoods?