Uvb fixture

timus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Shore of Maryland
@Tom i was wondering how much space I should leave between my uvb fixture and the ceiling. I read on here somewhere that you want some space but how much is needed?

timus

5 Year Member
I asked for Tom but anyone please feel free to chime in lol. It was just the first person to come to mind to tag.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
To choose the correct height, the question is what is the UV index (UVI) at tortoise level. The only way to tell for sure what the UVI experienced by the tortoise using your specific lamp is to measure it with a Solarmeter 6.5. The manufacturer most likely provides a rough guide of height vs. UVI for the specific bulb and fixture that you bought. Without a Solarmeter, this is all you can use to set the correct height of the UV light.

For your Hermanns, shoot for a UVI of about 3.0 at tortoise level, and run it for a couple of hours midday.

timus

5 Year Member
To choose the correct height, the question is what is the UV index (UVI) at tortoise level. The only way to tell for sure what the UVI experienced by the tortoise using your specific lamp is to measure it with a Solarmeter 6.5. The manufacturer most likely provides a rough guide of height vs. UVI for the specific bulb and fixture that you bought. Without a Solarmeter, this is all you can use to set the correct height of the UV light.

For your Hermanns, shoot for a UVI of about 3.0 at tortoise level, and run it for a couple of hours midday.
Thanks for the reply. I have a solar meter and understand the uvi levels I should be providing but I was more just curious as to how much space I should have between the fixture and the ceiling of the enclosure. I thought I read somewhere on the forums here that in the closed chamber you shouldn’t attach the fixture to the top to avoid condensation buildup at the top of the fixture.

timus

5 Year Member
I am still dialing in the lighting and have both 12% and 6% Arcadia bulbs. I too like the idea that you and Tom mention of running the uvb only a few hours mid day. I’m still in my guesstimation? 2 months or so away from the tortoises coming and am so glad I started the process way ahead of time.

ISU

South Korea
I used it almost attached to the ceiling and it broke down 6 months later. What i use now is plenty of space and has been working well for 7 months. I couldn't think condensation would be a problem at the time

Attachments

• 20200326_072752.jpg
    20200326_072752.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

timus

5 Year Member
I used it almost attached to the ceiling and it broke down 6 months later. What i use now is plenty of space and has been working well for 7 months. I couldn't think condensation would be a problem at the time
That’s how mine is now. Just a very small gap in between. It just stood to reason a bit more space would be better. That’s why I mentioned I had some 6% and 12% bulbs. The 12% is in now but is attached as mentioned above. I am going to switch to the 6% and drop it until it is where I want my uvi to be. Should give me a few inches to work with anyway. I’ve bought extras of tons of the major stuff I’ve bought. While I hope all four of the hatchlings will get along for some time in the event there were issues in easily getting something more than serviceable ready in the event things don’t go smoothly at any point. I’m going to put my substrate in soon and see how it is once I switch bulbs and have the exact level of the substrate. I’ve only about measured guessing at around 4 inches of substrate.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Gosh, it's never occurred to me re' condensation. Mine is screwed right to the ceiling. It's been working just fine for a year.

I'll probably get up in the morning and find it's fallen into the substrate! ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've tested a few different UVB lights in my thread:
REAL WORLD UVB TESTING
I measured distances and UVB output both through a screen and without with a SOLARMETER 6.5R.

I'd add at least 10% to the readings because Arcadia is slightly superior to the REPTISUN tubes I used in my tests.