UVB-Help

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
Hi, I need some help for a new setup for my tortoises....

I know "nothing" about the differences in the UV-bulbs, so I need some help to chose the right bulb for my torts. In Pet-stores here in Norway everything is expensive, so buying online is what im most likely going to do. I need two bulbs for my two separate enclosures. The tortoises are hermanns, both adult males.

I know these UV-lights dont give much heat (At least the ones i've used so far) so a separate heat source is also needed. I have also used the infrared nocturnal heatlamp from Exo Terra (For heat only), is this ok?

Im just taking a shot in the dark here, but is this a bulb that will suit my tortoises needs? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exo-Terra-R...778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27eb1eb152

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Thank you! So this lamp will give me everything my tortoise need as far as lamps go?

How many watts should i get, and why?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would go with the powersun MVB, 100 or 160 depends on how big your enclosure is and how far the bulb is from the tortoise. I used a 100 W and the bulb was 12 inches above my tortoise.if you have a very large or tall enclosure I would go with the 160. you don't need night heat if the temperature is above 60°.I hope this helps.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
One more thing but I'm not sure has been mentioned, I would put it in a 10 inch aluminum fixture with a ceramic socket. these can be bought at hardware stores cheaper than pet stores, and they help to spread out the heat better.