UVB, humidity, how long etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hey there all :D

I am sure you have been asked these questions quite a few hundred times....but I have a few, and i want them to be specific to my Jordanian Greek, Tallula :p I want to have everything 100% perfect for her in her enclosure hehehe.

1.What exactly should I use for Tallula...a UVB lamp and a basking lamp? If so, whats the best for a greek.

2. What temp should it be for a Greek? (I would buy a thermometer type thingy to keep checking how hot it is for her)

3. Does she need a humid hide, if so, how do I create one?

4.How long are her UVB lights etc supposed to be on for each day?

Sorry for repetitive questions, but I've seen so many different things, that I thought I do a thread for her specifically :p Just want my girl to be as happy as possible :D

Thanks a mill

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Stace :)
For my Hermann, I use a Mercury vapor bulb T-rex 100W. And if it gets too cold in his enclosure, I put on the Ceramic heat emiter. I cant help you with the temps since I have an Hermann but the temps for my tortoise are in the cold side: 22-23C hot side: 28-30C under the spot light: 34-35C. For the humid hide, it depends on the substrate you use, Hermy has a humid hide, I made a hole on top of one of his hides and I put a screw to keep the sponge in place. I spray the sponge everyday. What kind of substrate do you use?
There are different opinions for the time you must keep the lights open but I open mine at 6AM and closed them at 6:30PM.
I hope this help and If I am wrong somewhere, please someone correct me :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Everything that Isa said will work for Tallula, Stace :D You can though have the lights on 12 to 16 hours a day depending on the time of year.

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Awww thanks Isa !! :D The sponge thinga-mabob sounds pretty cool. Is the humid hide under the lights to be made humid? Or what what? Hehe :D

I use a kind of soil, like a kind of potting soil that doesn't have any dangerous chemicals in it, but I'd like to change the substrate to something better for Tallula. I will go have a look at the pet store and see what they have, otherwise I'll just get her organic soil from the garden centre - just have to wait to get paid grrrr darn credit crisis!
That bulb sounds familiar, I've read quite a few people use it! Hopefully the silly pet shop has it or likes thereof :p

Thanks soooooo much for alllll your help, Tallula & I truly appreciate it :p

YAAAY cool thanks Danny :D

I wonder what to do during our Summer here (coming up now June/July), as it gets to about 130F in mid summer, dnt think she'd need the lights then !!!!!!

egyptiandan said:
Everything that Isa said will work for Tallula, Stace :D You can though have the lights on 12 to 16 hours a day depending on the time of year.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You are welcome Stace :D
Can you mix the soil with play sand (70%-30%). I heard it makes a really nice substrate. Hermy's humid hide is in his hot side, not under the lamp but not far maybe a couple of inches from it.
I can find the T-rex MVB in Canada, so I have to go to the states to get it.
Do you spray the substrate once in a while? Does Tallula burried herself when she sleeps?

Danny, I did not know the lights should be open longer a certain time of the year. I should keep Hermy's light open for around 16 hours during (let me guess) summer :) ?

Stazz

5 Year Member
What exactly is play sand? Like normal sand? Cos I have PLENTY of that in the desert hahaha. So 70% soil, 30% play sand? Cool , I can definitely do that!

And thanks for the info about the hide, thats great ! She will be one happy chappy when Im done :D
I do dampen the substrate a bit, i should get an empty spray thingy to make it easier :p She doesn't really bury herself, only now & then, sometimes she just sleeps inside the turned over clay pot, or under her log hide ! She is a funny little thing....never in the same spot ;)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
What exactly is play sand? Like normal sand? Cos I have PLENTY of that in the desert hahaha. So 70% soil, 30% play sand? Cool , I can definitely do that!

And thanks for the info about the hide, thats great ! She will be one happy chappy when Im done :D
I do dampen the substrate a bit, i should get an empty spray thingy to make it easier :p She doesn't really bury herself, only now & then, sometimes she just sleeps inside the turned over clay pot, or under her log hide ! She is a funny little thing....never in the same spot ;)

Opps, I forgot about the sand :D, you have a lot where you live. I dont know the composition of playsand but I guess it must be the same thing (please someone correct me if I am wrong) :). The play sand is usually used in park for kids (they can play in it). When I was a kid, my dad made us a big square in wood and put play sand in it, o boy did my sister and I had fun :D. I asked you if your little Tallula burried herself because if she did, I dont know if the humid hide would have been necessary.
She must be very cute sleeping inside the clay pot :D.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Yeah she is SOOOOO cute in the clay pot, I'll get a picture when she makes her way there again ehehehe. :p
So you think it's okay that I use the desert sand? i suppose that's as natural as I'm gonna get it hey :D And I'll get organic soil, will feel much better about that than the soil she has. So cute you had your own sand pit - I loooved playing in them !

Yeah she doesn't really bury herself,Ive only seen her do it a couple times, but maybe she does it more when Im out. i want to put a thicker layer of substrate in for her so she doesnt dig for 5secoonds and gets the plastic at the bottom hehe.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think that the sand in the desert must be better than the play sand we buy in a hardware store plus you only put 30% of it in the mix (70% soil).
I can't wait to see the picture of Tallula in the clay pot :D.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Actually funny you said that - she just had a nice long soak, and she walked around a bit then a put her back in her enclosure. She went straight up to the clay pot on the 2nd floor, and went in, but I could see she had too much energy to settle down....funny & cute thing though, there are small holes in the bottom of the pot, obviously for when you plant something in it for drainage, but Tallula was peeking her eye out through one of the holes !!! SO CUTE! I put my finger there and she tried to eat it, heehee. I just love her, she makes me laugh all the time.

Stazz

5 Year Member
I have never seen Tallula so energetic as she was last night after her soak....I soaked her for about 15mins and she wouldn't let me dry her, she was just "walking in the air", so I put her down, she ran around like a mad thing for a bit, went to say hi to her dad, and walked back into my room. SO I put her in her enclosure, and she was like an energizer bunny, moving all over the place. She went to the side of the pot and started pushing it to move it !!! Was sooo funny. She moved it a bit, then went inside again for a few seconds. Then out again. When I went to bed, she would not sleep, she was climbing things and making a noise in her enclosure hahaha, I eventually went and picked her up and said NO Tallula, as she was trying to climb up the side and the scratching noise on the wood was pretty annoying haha, then she stopped, and walked around her enclosure a bit more and settled to sleep under the ramp. Thought I'd share that :D

Oh and to add to that, she buried herself last night, too cute. SO maybe no humid hide is needed then :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Haha very cute :D. They are really cute when they are full of energy. Hermy does that sometime after taking his bath :D
Thanks for sharing.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Hehhee you're so welcome !! I love talking about Tallula hehehe :p

I think I will create a humid hide, just in case...want her to have all option....the little miss fuss-pot haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.