UVB lighting question.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I know there are a lot of threads for this, i read through a lot of them. We have a CFL/uvb bulb right now, I was reading that it's bad for the redfoots eyes. I'm going to get a florescent tomorrow, but i want to make sure i get the right thing. I'm looking at getting a Zoo Med ReptiSun florescent, but i didn't know which one to get. Should i get a high output? Most people seem to be recommending the 5.0 HO.

We do take the Tortoises outside pretty often to wander around anyway, so they get plenty of sunlight. Probably more than enough. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. We have a 40 gallon aquarium right now, with two 3.5 inch babies. We are probably going to get two more soon though, if that's something you need to know.

Thanks!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
T5 HO tubes and fixtures seem to be as good as it gets right now. Who knows when some really good LED systems will come out? For redfoots you might consider the lower UV output or just a good balanced spectrum tube if they do get out more than a few hours a week.

You can see about fixtures from online hydroponic stores that sell to indoor gardeners, often they beat Amazon and and the 'Pet' supply stores. There are single tube, two tube and four tube fixtures. I use multiples of single tube fixtures so I can spread the light out over a larger area by placing the fixtures further apart from each other. Those from the same brand can be plugged into each other with only one needing to be plugged into an outlet. Also if one fixture burns out it is easy to replace a single tube fixture than a multi tube fixture.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
T5 HO tubes and fixtures seem to be as good as it gets right now. Who knows when some really good LED systems will come out? For redfoots you might consider the lower UV output or just a good balanced spectrum tube if they do get out more than a few hours a week.

You can see about fixtures from online hydroponic stores that sell to indoor gardeners, often they beat Amazon and and the 'Pet' supply stores. There are single tube, two tube and four tube fixtures. I use multiples of single tube fixtures so I can spread the light out over a larger area by placing the fixtures further apart from each other. Those from the same brand can be plugged into each other with only one needing to be plugged into an outlet. Also if one fixture burns out it is easy to replace a single tube fixture than a multi tube fixture.

Ok thanks! There seems to be two types of bulbs, desert and tropical. Im guessing the tropical forest type would be the right one.

Thanks again!