UVB on screen topped terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I read somewhere that rays from a UVB lamp are affected when directed through a screen. Is this so? What about the type of screen material used? Perhaps the type used on screened doors (also the type used on terrariums designed for reptiles) are not metal screens, but a type of tough plastic or resin, which doesn't affect the UVB rays?

Just trying to get some correct answers...:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not the type of material, its the size of the mesh. The rays just bounce right back off of a screen with hole too small. Something like chicken wire would be a better size.

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
emysemys said:
Its not the type of material, its the size of the mesh. The rays just bounce right back off of a screen with hole too small. Something like chicken wire would be a better size.

Thank you. I don't mean to be impertinent but did you obtain this information from a reliable source? I would like to read further on the subject and a citation would be appreciated :shy:.

M

Maggie Cummings

mgreen said:
emysemys said:

Thank you. I don't mean to be impertinent but did you obtain this information from a reliable source? I would like to read further on the subject and a citation would be appreciated :shy:.

Hey Mike...The subject of the mesh and UVB is common knowledge among experienced keepers and you are questioning one of our most experienced keepers. Very most experienced.
I really don't mean any disrespect when I say that if you are not going to accept the advice offered why don't you just google the subject yourself???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
Hey Mike...The subject of the mesh and UVB is common knowledge among experienced keepers and you are questioning one of our most experienced keepers. Very most experienced.
I really don't mean any disrespect when I say that if you are not going to accept the advice offered why don't you just google the subject yourself???

Now, now...settle down! :cool: If I wasn't upset by his response, then you shouldn't feel the need to defend me. LOL!! I understand where he's coming from, after all.....inquiring minds want to know.

I tried to do a GOOGLE search to find the answer for you, but couldn't find anything on it. Its just something that I've known for a very long time. It might be so old that its not good info anymore. Who knows?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks for that info Mike. I had the fly screen under the 10.0 UVB for my Cherry Head, and didn't realize any of this. I just went in and put a slit through the screen. I appreciate it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Madkins007 said:
It is not always easy for people who have done research over years to lay their hands on exactly where they learned a specific piece of info.

You're too kind!

Status
Not open for further replies.