London

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, it's a personal choice. I like the MVB in most situations, but I also use the tube type fluorescent in other situations

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
In my opinion, it's a personal choice. I like the MVB in most situations, but I also use the tube type fluorescent in other situations
I forgot to mention that I want to use both at the same time. my tortoise doesn't seem to fond of the dark.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't need two sources of UVB. If you just want to lighten up a dark corner, you can just use an ordinary bulb.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
e
You don't need two sources of UVB. If you just want to lighten up a dark corner, you can just use an ordinary bulb.
will it cause him harm? he rarely basks thats that I thought a uvb tube would give him some more uvb while he walks around the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The rays bounce around off of objects and the tortoise doesn't need to be directly under the light to benefit.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I've tried both a mercury vapor bulb and a fluorescent bulb-- but not together.

I found the MVB difficult to control-- they get very hot and give a very narrow beam of uvb. This was hard for my baby who could not tolerate being in the direct beam of the bulb because of the intense heat.

My baby became sick.

I reached out to just about anyone who could help/advise me. My breeder has been raising torts for 30+ years and told me to switch to a fluorescent uvb bulb and an incandescent basking bulb. Others in the forum helped me figure out an ideal setup. I like knowing the uvb rays are present throughout the enclosure, not just a small portion.

My baby got better and I'm much happier!

That being said, others have had great success with MVB. This is just my personal experience.

Best,
Shaifali