UVB

FrankiesMom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hello all! I am a new tort owner and love my little Frankie. He's a 5 month old Leopard tortoise. I live in Florida so I'm able to put him outside during the day (in a protected enclosure) so he gets about 5-7 hours of natural sun daily -- unless it's raining, of course, and then he stays inside. I bring him inside for the night as well. My question is: if he's getting plenty of natural sun during the day, when I bring him in, can I just use a reptile basking lamp for the remaining few hours that he's supposed to have 95-100 degrees of basking? Right now, when I bring him in, all I have is the PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor lamp and I leave it on for a few more hours so he has the 12 hours of basking. But if he doesn't need additional UVB after being outside, is a basking lamp sufficient? By the way, I love this forum! You guys are fabulous!

xMario

Germany
Hello all! I am a new tort owner and love my little Frankie. He's a 5 month old Leopard tortoise. I live in Florida so I'm able to put him outside during the day (in a protected enclosure) so he gets about 5-7 hours of natural sun daily -- unless it's raining, of course, and then he stays inside. I bring him inside for the night as well. My question is: if he's getting plenty of natural sun during the day, when I bring him in, can I just use a reptile basking lamp for the remaining few hours that he's supposed to have 95-100 degrees of basking? Right now, when I bring him in, all I have is the PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor lamp and I leave it on for a few more hours so he has the 12 hours of basking. But if he doesn't need additional UVB after being outside, is a basking lamp sufficient? By the way, I love this forum! You guys are fabulous!
If u bring him outside a few hours a week during sunshine no additional uvb is needed[emoji16]

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate that. I'll get a basking lamp for him.
Does anyone know why I can see the reply on my phone from an email I received, but not on my computer? I know it's user error, but if anyone can tell me what to click on or change in my settings on the forum, it would be greatly appreciated. I've never participated in any type of forum. Are there instructions somewhere?

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
I also want to clarify that I have a CHE that is on at night as well to keep his enclosure warm. Above I said all I have is the PowerSun lamp, but that was referring to UV light.
I think I found the ALERT button to push so I can see the entire thread.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe your tortoise is getting plenty of natural sunlight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I agree with the above. If he's outside getting sun for several hours a week, no UVB light indoors is required.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
But he still needs the basking light when he comes in for a few more hours, correct? You guys are the best! I'm so happy I reached out!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
But he still needs the basking light when he comes in for a few more hours, correct? You guys are the best! I'm so happy I reached out!
I guess it depends on what temperature it is and what temperature do you want to maintain.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Oh, I thought in addition to the UVB (which he is getting outdoors) that he needed to bask (UVA) for 10-12 hours in 95-100 degree temps? He does not "bask" for long when he's outdoors. He sleeps in his little flower pot and hangs out in the plants I have planted in there...and, again, he's only outside for a few hours. So I thought he needed some additional basking time when I bring him inside to equal the 10-12 recommended hours. Am I mistaken?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
My hatchling gets his basking lamp in the morning and when the day starts to heat up he goes outside for a few hours, comes back inside in the evening and gets his basking lamp again until the sun sets. He has no artificial UVB light in his enclosure and I haven't seen a problem so far.

(He doesn't get sun on rainy or cold and overcast days)

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Thank you everyone for your help. Thank goodness for this forum --- it has really been a big help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to use 65 watt flood bulbs set on a timer indoors. You may need higher or lower wattage depending on your enclosure and house.

I wouldn't use the MVB any more as those contribute to pyramiding.

I've done some side-by-side experiments with clutchmates over the years and found that babies do better when kept inside most of the time. My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Once they get around 5-6 inches, then I leave them outside all day, weather permitting.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Thank you! I really appreciate all of the quick responses and helpful information. I've learned a ton on this forum.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
So there are flood bulbs that are UVB specifically for reptiles? Can you please provide brand and name? When i think of flood lights I think of the ones outside my parents garage! Lol! So I can't even picture what you are referring to! No judgment please! Ha!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So there are flood bulbs that are UVB specifically for reptiles? Can you please provide brand and name? When i think of flood lights I think of the ones outside my parents garage! Lol! So I can't even picture what you are referring to! No judgment please! Ha!!
Since your tortoise is getting plenty of UV outside, there is no need for expensive UV bulbs indoors. I just use regular bulbs form the hardware store. I buy them in 6 or 12 packs because they always burn out at the most inconvenient times. Like these:
philips-incandescent-light-bulbs-248872-c3_1000.jpg

Randdawgg

West Kelowna BC
77 degrees or warmer at night.Help to keep his gut digesting properly.Torts have amazingly long and efficient intestines.They kind of a cow with a shell!!!