Vermiculite

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's been posted before...Several times.
I can't find my answer in a search:
My largest healthy female Redfoot, Ruby has been hanging out and digging in a big half flowerpot. Today she drove off my smaller female who never backs down from a shoving match.
I think she's about to lay eggs. I'd like to get my closed chamber converted into an incubator. It would be bigger than my "Hover Bator" that I've always had trouble with keeping up the humidity and keeping temps steady.
What is the correct way to set up the vermiculite and what temp and humidity.
I would have temps between 78 and 85 and humidity over 75%. Is this ok?

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
You really could just use a typical tortoise enclosure closed chamber as an incubator. I've actually incubated eggs in containers inside my hatchling closed chamber many times, with even better success then the incubator.

Varying temps in that range is fine, but incubation will take longer. I typically keep mind 84-86. Humidity is good at about 80%, not too wet. The vermiculite, simply moisten it and then squeeze all of the water out of it and fluff it up. Don't get it too wet. I have used spaghnum moss, peat moss and perlite before as well. A mixture of peat moss and vermiculite works good, as well.

Keep the containers closed. I have had terrible results trying to incubate eggs with open containers. Always keep them in closed containers with small holes in the lid, or the side.