Vet Cost?

Honeybunnfarms

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hi! I’m wanting to take my Russian tortoise to the vet to get a check up and also a gender reveal (for sure). So how much does that usually cost? I know it probably varies from vet to vet but I’m just wanting to know the like average cost? Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
X rays are about $85 each here at BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC.
And somehow my bill always seems to be $300 regardless of rhe nature of my visit. Whether it's a sick Chameleon or an issue with a new tortoise.
Of course your bill may be different
But to me 300 sounds about right.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
If there is no issue like sickness, your tortoise doesn't need a 'check up.'

If your tortoise isn't large enough/old enough, a vet won't be able to tell you the sex any better than people on this forum.

By the sounds, you do not need to see a vet.

Reactions: Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think you have got two very helpful answers here by both responders. And I agree with TeamZissou that unless your tortoise is sick, don't take him to a vet.

Honeybunnfarms

South Carolina
If there is no issue like sickness, your tortoise doesn't need a 'check up.'

If your tortoise isn't large enough/old enough, a vet won't be able to tell you the sex any better than people on this forum.

By the sounds, you do not need to see a vet.
Yeah, she's not Ill, I didn't know they didn't have to go in for a check up, I just kind of assumed she needed to attest once haha! I'll probably be making a post on that in a few!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for letting me know, cause I was convinced she had to have a check up!
So while you are NOT doing the vet thing again right now, can we see some good pictures and get some information on your tortoise setup and diet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for letting me know, cause I was convinced she had to have a check up!
Most vets do more harm than good, and many times they get the sex wrong too. I would take a fecal sample in to check for parasites, but leave the tortoises home.

Its not a bad idea, if you can find a competent tortoise vet in your area, to go in for a single meet and greet and "check-up" so that your info and your tortoise's info is in their system and you aren't a new patient in the event that you need emergency help some day. Just don't let them take your tortoise in the back, and politely decline any "vitamin injections" or other unnecessary treatment. These are a clear sign of a vet that doesn't know what they are doing with tortoises, but wants to make some money anyway.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Hi! I’m wanting to take my Russian tortoise to the vet to get a check up and also a gender reveal (for sure). So how much does that usually cost? I know it probably varies from vet to vet but I’m just wanting to know the like average cost? Thank you!
I second Tom's advice. While there is nothing wrong it's a good time to identify a good tortoise vet near you so that when you need someone you know who to call. Such individuals are not easy to find and it can take a lot of time and searching (something that you don't have in an emergency). Folks on TF may be able to help. Look for long-term work with tortoises and/or specialized training in reptiles and exotics. Unless it's an emergency and you have no one else to help, I would hesitate visiting a vet who does not have expertise in tortoises or at least reptiles. Once you find someone with the suitable expertise, go in and meet and greet.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Most vets do more harm than good, and many times they get the sex wrong too. I would take a fecal sample in to check for parasites, but leave the tortoises home.

Its not a bad idea, if you can find a competent tortoise vet in your area, to go in for a single meet and greet and "check-up" so that your info and your tortoise's info is in their system and you aren't a new patient in the event that you need emergency help some day. Just don't let them take your tortoise in the back, and politely decline any "vitamin injections" or other unnecessary treatment. These are a clear sign of a vet that doesn't know what they are doing with tortoises, but wants to make some money anyway.
I agree with Tom. I visited when I got my rescue Russian tortoise for a fecal test and a beak trim. It was a way of seeing if they had a clue in case of an emergency and a way to establish myself as a client. I take him in for a weigh in and chat/exam/fecal test once a year when his outdoor season is over to maintain contact. I know it’s not necessary, but it gives me peace of mind maintaining the relationship.