Meg DiBerardino

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Island, NY
I live in Buffalo, New York and my little man, Kimchi (red footed tortoise) who is only 2 years old is stuck under a lamp with no natural sunlight for up to 8 months, sometimes. Are there any vitamins you recommend for him? He needs vitamins D and C and I feed him spring mix or kale with the occasional tomato or strawberry. Please let me know! Thank you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You ted foot is aforest species who should be betting all it needs from a varied diet which includes fruit and a little protein. (This is different to the grassland species like Testudo, Sulcatas and Leopard Torts)

It should be getting vitamin D from its diet. All that might be benficial is a tiny amount of calcium powder sprinkled sparsley on food 2-3 datys a week. No more as you can overdo it. Leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure and your tortoise can chomp on it for extra calcium if it needs it. Cuttlebone also helps with beak maintenanc.

If you boil an egg and mash it complete with shell that will provide both protein and calcium.

Please read this about Red Foots and compare it with how you care for your tortoise. From your post it sounds like there is room for improvemen.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I live in Buffalo, New York and my little man, Kimchi (red footed tortoise) who is only 2 years old is stuck under a lamp with no natural sunlight for up to 8 months, sometimes. Are there any vitamins you recommend for him? He needs vitamins D and C and I feed him spring mix or kale with the occasional tomato or strawberry. Please let me know! Thank you :)
If you feed more variety in the diet, you don't need any vitamins. Some of the things I feed mine include Turnip greens, mustard greens, romaine, chard, escarole, bok choy, dandelion greens and flowers, Arugula, collard, endive, watercress, strawberries, blueberries, mango, papaya, peach, pear, banana, melon, cantaloupe, squash, peppers, sweet potato, cucumber, carrots, mushrooms, and Okra. For protein I do earthworms, sardines, chicken, shrimp, low-fat cat food, and scrambled or hard boiled eggs. If you feed eggs feed the shell too. You can also grind up egg shells and sprinkle it on meals for calcium.