WalkingRock -vs- The Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
...So, there I was, sitting at the end of the yard when I saw the Assault happen... it wasn't sudden or unexpected but it was vicious no the less...
DSCN1618.jpg
DSCN1620.jpg
DSCN1623.jpg
DSCN1630.jpg
DSCN1637.jpg
DSCN1638.jpg
DSCN1639.jpg
DSCN1641.jpg

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I like your yard. Are those crape myrtles? There is the characteristic "path" made along the fence, too, which I also get to "enjoy". Your grass is keeping up better than mine, though.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Beautiful yard and I love his tracks along the fence! I just think he has the coolest name ever!!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Eweezyfosheezy said:
The worlds best lawnmower!!! ha ha

...if I could only train him to mow evenly instead of in random patches!:)

Baoh said:
I like your yard. Are those crape myrtles? There is the characteristic "path" made along the fence, too, which I also get to "enjoy". Your grass is keeping up better than mine, though.

YES, those are Crape Myrtles and if it wasn't for the fact that this was a well established yard BEFORE WalkingRock took it over I fear the worst. This year he has kept the yard low enough that I have only had to mow the back yard 3 times this year but the front gets mowed weekly at the mowers highest setting.... next year I might not have to mow at all....and the future looks bleaker still!:(

Momof4 said:
Beautiful yard and I love his tracks along the fence! I just think he has the coolest name ever!!

Thanks! I love the tracks too.... that is the longest border (south) to our yard and the only path he walks (east to west)... as the Summer progresses the grass will completly disappear on his path. the path itself is about 200 feet long.

acrantophis said:
Great pics! Where does he sleep?

This is WalkingRocks current Bunker. It is heated with a Mini-Oil Filled radiator during the Winter. and is built on top of an old Oak tree we had removed then had the stump grinded away. The hope is that it will prevent him from digging to to deep...
DSCN0345.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

pugsandkids said:
Such a handsome tort, your yard is great!

Thank you! We are very proud of him and I do enjoy working in my yard! :cool:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Peaches bts said:
Nice yard! Walking rock looks awesome as always!

During winter do cover the door of his enclosure?

Each year I cut a piece plywood to cover the door and wide enough to brace into place with the Roof/Door. that way if he wants out he just has to give a good push and the plywood door becomes his plywood front porch. with the door closed and the heater going it stayed at 70-75* when the outside temp dropped to low 20s.

pinkpirate said:
Your yard is wonderful! WalkingRock is looking great!

Thank you ;)

clare n said:
What a brilliant name! He suits it so well :D

His name was almost "Walnut" because that was how big he was...I belive it was a 3 year old that named him because she said he looks like a rock with legs....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to use that same propped door technique too. Worked great.

Awesome pics!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he ever knock over the table/bird bath in your yard or destroy the nice landscaped area around the trees? I can't wait for my leopard to get larger so I can let him just walk the yard. He's only 15mo. and too small yet. Can he see into the leopards or does he not no they are there or not care:D?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
Does he ever knock over the table/bird bath in your yard or destroy the nice landscaped area around the trees? I can't wait for my leopard to get larger so I can let him just walk the yard. He's only 15mo. and too small yet. Can he see into the leopards or does he not no they are there or not care:D?

That Bird bath is new and diliberatly place in an area he does not walk... we'll see how that works! As for around my trees.... I USED to have beautiful rings of Monkey Grass around my trees...Now I have nubs of dark green monkey grass that are never given the chance to grow...:(

He does try to get into the Leopards area, but I think only for the lush vegitations he knows hides up there (it has always been my vegi garden till I got the Kids...) That is the reason for it being raised. Last year I added another log to it's highth, Next year I expect to do the same!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I love the pics. I like how his path is along the fence, lol.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
drgnfly2265 said:
I love the pics. I like how his path is along the fence, lol.

as the Summer gets hotter that path will start to look more like a Wagon Wheel path;)

GeoTerraTestudo said:
How'd you secure that dog tag onto his vertebral scute?

2 part epoxy will do fine! I used a Super Heavy Duty 2 Part Epoxy used for Bridge anchors just because I had it avalable! (Just a little over board on the strenth factor needed!:p )

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
...if I could only train him to mow evenly instead of in random patches!:)

YES, those are Crape Myrtles and if it wasn't for the fact that this was a well established yard BEFORE WalkingRock took it over I fear the worst. This year he has kept the yard low enough that I have only had to mow the back yard 3 times this year but the front gets mowed weekly at the mowers highest setting.... next year I might not have to mow at all....and the future looks bleaker still!:(

Thanks! I love the tracks too.... that is the longest border (south) to our yard and the only path he walks (east to west)... as the Summer progresses the grass will completly disappear on his path. the path itself is about 200 feet long.

This is WalkingRocks current Bunker. It is heated with a Mini-Oil Filled radiator during the Winter. and is built on top of an old Oak tree we had removed then had the stump grinded away. The hope is that it will prevent him from digging to to deep...

Thank you! We are very proud of him and I do enjoy working in my yard! :cool:

Nice! I was expecting a bed of rose petals since walking rock always looks so perfect! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.