Walter is Blocked Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rapid City S.D.
Well took Walter in Tue to see if we could find out what is wrong with him not eating. Doc took a x-ray and i guess he has some blockage in the upper part of his intestine (don't know the tech word she called it) that is not letting him poop.
Here are some pics today at the Doc's office of Walter getting ready for another round of enema's poor guy

Maybe if I hide they wont see me.
WalterVetVisit1.jpg

Hey I'm out of the Box.
WalterVetVisit3.jpg

Time to Run for it I'm out of here. (I'm Thinking Arby's)
WalterVetVisit2.jpg

Anyway if anybody has any ideas how to unblock a tort please post
we have be soaking and of course the enema's there taking a new x-ray today to see if it moved.

Will be posting x-ray's as soon as they send me them.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sorry to hear that Walter has an impaction :(
Please keep us updated and good luck!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awww that's so sad to hear. Any idea if it was food or substrate? Is he on hay full time? Hope he feels better soon.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so sorry to hear about Walter's problem. I would give him long warm soaks and give him some canned pumpkin. I would fill a small syringe without the needle with some canned pumpkin with some mineral oil added to it, then squirt the pumpkin into his mouth and let him swallow it on his own. Mineral oil works well for problems like that. Please keep us posted and don't let the Vet give him injections of Vit A...

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
Yeah hoping for the best going after work to find out what my wife found in the new x-ray. He is normally on coconut fiber mixed with play sand when he is inside and dirt and weeds when outside. just put the hay it the tub i transported him in to help him feel secure. don't know what it is sure hope he can pass it.

Maggie what will the Vit A do? they haven't done it but just wondering

O and what is the Best way to open his mouth and hold his neck out

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would examine the poop carefully if you can and see if you see bits of substrate in it, or just the usual. Best wishes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the blockage is in the upper, small intestine, the enemas probably won't reach the right spot. Mineral oil fed through a stomach tube would be a better thing to do. Mineral oil is non-absorbtive, so it just lubricates and passes right along through, hopefully lubricating the impaction enough to help it move along too.

An overdose of Vitamin A causes the tortoise's skin to slough (peel) off.

YVonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Poor Walter! I hope he finds relief from his blockage soon. I did love your photo captions, though.

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
Well in the last x-ray no movement. So last night i took Maggie and Yvonne advice with the pumpkin and mineral oil luckly he ate some of it on his own so i did not have to force feed him. soaked him but nothing yet. I never wanted something to poop so bad in my life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since there is already a blockage, I wouldn't add any more bulk (food) to make the mass larger. Just go with the mineral oil. This is VERY serious. If you can't get that impaction moving along, Walter could very well die.

Since you have an x-ray, and the mass hasn't moved in two x-rays, has your vet considered that it might be a twisted intestine?

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good luck and please as soon as Walter poops, let us know.
I will keep you and Walter in my thoughts and I keep my fingers crossed.

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
Thanks Yvonne i will go with just the mineral oil. Don't know if the Doc thought off that will have to ask my wife. And i do know how serious this is I'm dreading the thought of him not making it. and trying to stay positive

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Marshal, I know you just lost Chico and what an impact that can have on a family. And now to have Walter ill. Hopefully Walter will pull through this and be fine. If he does not improve is your vet experianced in surgery on torts? Though I heard surgery is difficult for them. My thoughts and prayers are with you're family and Walter. Please keep us posted.

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
Thanks Robyn we have had a pretty rough September.
One of my friends might end up paralyzed from the chest down due to a moto x accident then we lost our veiled chameleon he had growth on his tail when we got him and new he was on limited time and then Chico who my wife has had for 9 years and was one of the best dogs i have ever had the pleasure to love. I'm praying daily for Walter to pull through. He like all our pets are our children and we are honored to have the pleasure of there company.

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
No definable answer yet found some poop in his enclosure hope it was new because i cleaned it out before hand. inspected it but could not see anything out of the ordinary going try some more mineral oil and soaking for now and take him in for another x-ray.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Marshal you may want to place him on paper towels for now so if he poos you can easily ID it. Just a thought. Sending good thoughts your way for your friend and Walter.

Status
Not open for further replies.