Wanted: cherry head yearling (Canada)

JesseS

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Looking for one/two yearling cherry heads in Canada - I'm in Ontario.
Would prefer high red and/or marbling for my first breeding group (i would like to raise them myself over next decade)
Would ideally bring them home for Oct 1st when we finish our big bioactive enclosure.
Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm assuming you've done your research already about the humidity. Lighting and temperature you'll need. But also know that you should not keep two of any species together.
If you have LOTS of room, groups can work because it usually spreads out the bullying. But never attempt to keep just two.
These are solitary creatures that do best alone.

JesseS

Ontario, Canada
I'm assuming you've done your research already about the humidity. Lighting and temperature you'll need. But also know that you should not keep two of any species together.
If you have LOTS of room, groups can work because it usually spreads out the bullying. But never attempt to keep just two.
These are solitary creatures that do best alone.
Absolutely!
I have a year old cherry head currently in quarantine (somewhat of a rescue from a bad spot, on antibiotics now) in "her"(i know they cant be sexed this early) own closed chamber enclosure. I have a CHE with temp probe set to 82F-84F on warm side and 75-80F on cool side, mixed substrate (cococoir, orchid bark and organic topsoil), T5 UVB tube over her "light" side and some plants on other creating a shaded area. Humidity is 80%+.

I also have a 6 month old eastern hermann's in his own tortoise table.

In September we are building a 12'x4' indoor bioactive closed chamber vivarium for the hopefully 3 cherry heads I'd like to group together assuming they get along of course.
By spring 2023;
They will also have a 16'x6' fully planted outdoor enclosure for spring/summer/fall. Fully fenced around, above and below with a heated shed as needed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It all sounds pretty good.
Even the temperature gradient. Which isn't really required. But that's not at all drastic.
Find a peice of slate or terra cotta or a thin cement slab to use as a feeding area. It'll help with beak and nail maintenance and will also stop most of the dirt in the substrate from getting eaten.
(I don't recommend using soil in general because it's not all created equally)
3 RF juveniles will probably be OK. But that won't be an indication of what's going to happen as the mature. Adult RF want their own territory.

JesseS

Ontario, Canada
It all sounds pretty good.
Even the temperature gradient. Which isn't really required. But that's not at all drastic.
Find a peice of slate or terra cotta or a thin cement slab to use as a feeding area. It'll help with beak and nail maintenance and will also stop most of the dirt in the substrate from getting eaten.
(I don't recommend using soil in general because it's not all created equally)
Oh yes! I have feeding slates for both, my hermann basically lives on his with his face in weeds lol
Thank you so much for your advice and info

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I also reccomend monthly weights with a small digital scale. The first sign of bullying or stress will be one tortoise getting heavier and heavier and another one or more growing slower.

JesseS

Ontario, Canada
I also reccomend monthly weights with a small digital scale. The first sign of bullying or stress will be one tortoise getting heavier and heavier and another one or more growing slower.
Oh perfect!
I've been weighing my two every week and measuring SCL every month to keep track of our feeding amounts too.