Wanted: Spineless Opuntia!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hi, i am looking for the Spineless Prickly Pear. Does anyone here sell it. I want to get some growing for my Sulcatas. Do both the Spineless and the Spiney produce the fruit? Thanks. Just let me know quantity and prices. I am in Florida(32724).
20130113_163633.jpg
20130110_162204.jpg
20130113_162840.jpg
20130113_162704.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Have you tried looking in grocery stores for it, get it there and plant the pads,Being in Florida it should be easy to find and grow. Good Luck.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Len said:
Have you tried looking in grocery stores for it, get it there and plant the pads,Being in Florida it should be easy to find and grow. Good Luck.

I think they have it at the farmers market on the weekends. But they dont speak english to well. So when i ask if its prickley pear and of it grows fruit they get confused... Lol. I bought one and planted it. Not sure if its the right one though... Lol

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If you don't mind the hassle of mail order, you can always get it online from tortoise food supply companies, several who are here on this forum.

And yeah, many many grocery stores carry both pads and fruit.

Will

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I forgot to answer the question about the fruit, they both can produce fruit but it may take a year or two for them to bloom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ask at the store for "nopales" or "nopalitas."

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Ok thanks everyone. I know they sell the fruit at one grocery store here. But not the pads. Im thinking what they sell at the farmers market IS the right stuff. I have one growing that i bought from them for $.25

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Do you have Mexican markets? They are the best place to find the pads. My best plant was from a piece I found laying on the ground outside the fence of a cactus farm :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've mentioned this in other threads on this subject, but MOST Mexican markets...especially Vallarta...soak their pads in lemon juice...not exactly what you'd wanna feed your tort!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
DeanS said:
I've mentioned this in other threads on this subject, but MOST Mexican markets...especially Vallarta...soak their pads in lemon juice...not exactly what you'd wanna feed your tort!

That's good to know, can you smell it, or not a worry in a 'regular' grocery store, like Ralley's or Von's.

I've not been to many framer's markets but have bought grocery store pads. I don't recall anything lemony about them, but I did not try it myself.

Will

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
When I have seen cuctus at mexican markets it is usually in huge piles, so I doubt it is soaked in lemon, but I will smell it next time. Thanks for the info.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I havent seen any soaked in lemon... I have bought a few pads. Pretty sure i would have smelled the lemon!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
We sell the spineless and yes it will flower and fruit. I have two well started rooted 3 gal plants here in fl if you want one email me $10 plus shipping or pick up.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
+1 on Rivenrock. I have a recurring monthly order with them set up so I get a fresh box of grade "D" every month in the mail. I also have several rows of pots with it growing. Hopefully by this summer I will no longer need the mail order because I should have a self renewing source. This stuff can grow FAST!
--Jeff

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
lori12386 said:
I havent seen any soaked in lemon... I have bought a few pads. Pretty sure i would have smelled the lemon!

The citrus is in the taste...not the smell. It's like washing fruits and veggies the old-fashioned way! Take a tub of water...add salt and lemon juice...kind of a homemade boric acid. The pads retain the citrus of the lemon...even after they 'dry out'

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I bet if you look in peoples yards its growing there.. ask the homeowner if you can cut off a few pads for yourself. then cut eh pad in half, let it sit a few days so the ends dry, then plant it in well drained soil and wait.. it will grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.