WARNING: ANOTHER AVOIDABLE DEATH

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
One of our long standing efforts is to provide life time support and direction to anyone that has an aldabra tortoise. Last night a long time customers called me and shared a tragic event that i wanted to share to the tortoise community on TFO. One of his aldabra tortoises was just over six years old had passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last week. This young tortoise was totally healthy and resided in the state of Florida. After watching home security cameras it was discovered that the tortoise was eating the rubber foamy tubing that was used to insulate the outside AC unit piping. It was substantially eaten and is suspected that it was either toxic or possibly caused a blockage resulting in the death of the 53 pound young aldabra tortoise. This was tragic, however the message here is to make sure all tortoises have the proper habitats that meet safe and secure standards. Please feel free to comment or add any information that may be of value!

RIP Timmy (Hatched 05-12-09, offspring of April)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sad. I would like to take this time to also tell others to be sure to not leave insulation exposed and electrical plugs/cords. I'm always looking to see what might have gotten exposed/dropped/left in their reach.
So sorry one of your offspring died so young. They must be heart broken.
Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, I agree with @Merrick Hopefully others will see this and understand the importance of keeping their enclosure or enclosures safe for their tortoises. I still see post occasionally about those people who are still letting their torts roam loose in their houses. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your tortoises life. .It's a risk I won't be taking.

Aldabraman I'm very sorry to read this here. That's heartbreaking news.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that's truly terrible and tragic. condolences to the owners

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For those people who like to argue when we tell them not to let their tortoises run loose outside of a well designed, safe tortoise enclosure, please tell us:
Was this tortoise owner stupid or completely uncaring about his/her tortoise? I'm guessing neither.
Was he/she careful and watchful? I bet they were.
Did he/she think anything bad would happen by letting the tortoise run loose in the yard? I bet they didn't.

It seems like most of the time when we try to warn people about things like this, they tell us how careful they are and how they watch very carefully and how they don't think anything bad will happen to their tortoise. Stories like this just prove them wrong time and time again. I wish we could get them to learn this lesson BEFORE its too late.

Thanks for posting this Aldabraman. I hope this message reaches the right people and saves some tortoise lives.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Was an autopsy actually done?
This is a somewhat critical thing to do. And for what it's worth the term necropsy is proper.

To be careful with enclosure design is a best consideration. The scrutiny used to look at security footage was a good idea.

However cause of death is presumptive, and that does not mean go ahead and let your tortoise have access to dangerous things, but the actual cause of death is only presumed, not known.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But the point still stands.
Eternal vigilance and safe controlled enclosures cannot be emphasized enough.
Torts will eat things that are bed for them.
i'm so sorry about the loss of that young tortoise.
RIP Timmy.

Alaskamike

South Florida
So sad
Must have devastated the owner - I know it would me

I watch mine like a hawk if I bring them onto the lanai. I walk around and sweep up anything that looks like it could be nibbled but is not good for them. Even with that precaution. My sulcata found one of those foam floaty things hanging over a chair for the pool and took a bite just as I reached him.

I pulled it from his chompers but he still got a little down - jeezzzz.
They are quick when they want to be !
Now I remove those too. As well as dog toys , since I saw him intently sniffing a nylon bone once.

I'd like to think I think of everything , but even with the best of care do-do happens sometimes. Sad stories like this are a pointed reminder to be cautious and ever vigilant.
So sad

Sesel

Seychelles
...an aldabra tortoise...was eating the rubber foamy tubing that was used to insulate the outside AC unit piping. It was substantially eaten and is suspected that it was either toxic or possibly caused a blockage resulting in the death...This was tragic, however the message here is to make sure all tortoises have the proper habitats that meet safe and secure standards. Please feel free to comment or add any information that may be of value!

Last year, strong winds carried a Polystyrene foam box (see below) a considerable distance and it ended up in the Aldabras' enclosure.

20180209_174251.jpg

One or more tortoises ate about half of the box before we could remove it o_O

We think it was mostly eaten by this male as he's the 'naughtiest':

20171109_180401.jpg

After that we would pick up small bits here and there which would come out with stools.

Thankfully no harm was done (we hope) :D

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That’s a heartbreaking story! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It could happen to anyone.
Rechecking our yard.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Tortoises can surprise us with how they get to things. Even if you are careful with any type of indoor our outdoor enclosure, something might turn out to not be a good idea.
The idea with an enclosure is of course to have a spot for the tort where we don't have to watch then 24/7. Outdoor enclosures might be invaded by a wild animal, or things can blow inside, or the tort might be digging a lot more in a spot and get deeper than what have been examined.
Upending a hide might create a platform to reach something they shouldn't get to.
A safe cover might end up being torn at by the tortoise until it comes loose.

And Medusa simply wore out the silicone sealent along the bottom of his tank and it sprung a leak.