watching a russian for the week and i noticed this, please help!

fatpython

Location (City and/or State)
California
IMG_9599.jpeghey yall, im watching a family member's russian tort for the week, i got him yesterday and i just noticed this today. im wondering if he couldve rubbed it against the cork wood and grapevine background of the spare enclosure i put him in (visible in the photo) as he's very active and likes to walk into all types of walls and obstacles, what does it look like to you guys? he isnt acting off at all and is eating atm.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
View attachment 379420hey yall, im watching a family member's russian tort for the week, i got him yesterday and i just noticed this today. im wondering if he couldve rubbed it against the cork wood and grapevine background of the spare enclosure i put him in (visible in the photo) as he's very active and likes to walk into all types of walls and obstacles, what does it look like to you guys? he isnt acting off at all and is eating atm.
Looks like just a rub. Maybe put some sort of antibiotic on it like neosporin.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, probably rubbed on something he was trying to get under possibly. Clean it with water and put some OTC antibiotic cream on it. Do this daily for at least a week. If it seems to be getting better, keep it up until healed. If it starts looking worse come back with a pic and we can advise whether a vet is needed.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't see a wound, just what looks like a bit of blood on his shell?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Agree with the others, looks like he’s scraped it bless him, but nothing too serious!

I don’t suppose you’d mind posting a photo of his enclosure? I only ask cause I’m noticing what looks to be moss in the background? That stuff is dangerous for tortoises and needs removing asap if it is.

I know you’re only looking after them so ultimately you can’t change up his environment yourself, but there could be some more things your friend isn’t aware of that would be useful passing on to him when he returns! Care for these guys is very outdated unfortunately

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Good Eye @Littleredfootbigredheart !
And @fatpython great eye catching this. I'm assuming from your name you are a Reptile person? This is why the family member had you care for the tort? Great job noticing this and trying to get it figured out now! You may encourage the family member to check out this forum for the future care.