Water bowl

Elijah_duncan

Location (City and/or State)
Blacksburg, VA
hi, I was wondering if you guys think it would be okay to give water out of a feeding Bowl, I’ve already been told about not using reptiramps and using terra-cotta saucers instead.

1905B91D-9291-4510-9BFD-1B328B6C13CE.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate for food and water.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
My leo seems to prefer eating off a rock as opposed to a bowl or anything else it has to step down into. I think it just likes making more mess for me to clean up, but so be it. Whatever makes it happy. lol

Bambam1989

East Texas
My little tort loves to climb.. especially in and out of his Terra Cotta saucers. I place river rocks around them to help keep some of the substrate from being knocked into them. He still makes a mess of his water and food but not as bad as he would without the rocks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That water bowl looks fine to me, but it will get messed up when those (what is that substrate, is some of it wood chips?) chips fall into it.
If the wood chips happen to be pine or cedar, and they get into the water, they will make the water toxic for the tortoise, and so that is why wood chips are not a good idea as a substrate in my opinion. I had a snake that drank the water that a piece of cedar wood had fallen into and the snake almost died.

Elijah_duncan

Blacksburg, VA
That water bowl looks fine to me, but it will get messed up when those (what is that substrate, is some of it wood chips?) chips fall into it.
If the wood chips happen to be pine or cedar, and they get into the water, they will make the water toxic for the tortoise, and so that is why wood chips are not a good idea as a substrate in my opinion. I had a snake that drank the water that a piece of cedar wood had fallen into and the snake almost died.
It’s Cyprus which I read is non toxic but rest assured I’m switching him to eco earth along with my new ball python.