Water feature

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hi all! I’ve been building a new outdoor enclosure for my 2 Russian torts at my new home. It’s a tort paradise! I’m thinking that a tortoise safe water feature would make the space complete. I’d watched a bunch of videos and started the work but then realized that it won’t be easy to clean and change the water without moving all the slate rocks. This probably isn’t an issue just for a nice looking water feature but I’m wondering about tortoise health. Would having the same water circulating through a pump all summer be unhealthy for them? I haven’t researched filters yet but I’m guessing that exists for fish ponds. Would that keep the water safe for my guys?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi all! I’ve been building a new outdoor enclosure for my 2 Russian torts at my new home. It’s a tort paradise! I’m thinking that a tortoise safe water feature would make the space complete. I’d watched a bunch of videos and started the work but then realized that it won’t be easy to clean and change the water without moving all the slate rocks. This probably isn’t an issue just for a nice looking water feature but I’m wondering about tortoise health. Would having the same water circulating through a pump all summer be unhealthy for them? I haven’t researched filters yet but I’m guessing that exists for fish ponds. Would that keep the water safe for my guys?
Hello!

Perhaps, you can just resort to old good terracotta saucers. Tortoises don't need much fancy stuff, but clean fresh water is important. They also poop in water - not every filter can cope with it. Making maintenance hard is not a good strategy as you will avoid daily chores (because tired, in a hurry and so on).

And just a kind word of warning - if you keep a pair of Russian tortoises in the same enclosure there will be blood. They will benefit much more of living on their own in separate enclosures than from a waterfall.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello!

Perhaps, you can just resort to old good terracotta saucers. Tortoises don't need much fancy stuff, but clean fresh water is important. They also poop in water - not every filter can cope with it. Making maintenance hard is not a good strategy as you will avoid daily chores (because tired, in a hurry and so on).

And just a kind word of warning - if you keep a pair of Russian tortoises in the same enclosure there will be blood. They will benefit much more of living on their own in separate enclosures than from a waterfall.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t keep my tortoises together ever. They have separate enclosures inside and outside.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for the advice. I don’t keep my tortoises together ever. They have separate enclosures inside and outside.
Okay, it wasn't 100% clear from your first post so I've thought it was worth mentioning.

Anyway, please keep us updated on enclosures progress. It sound like an interesting project. I would like to see the results!