water turtle/koi question

nathanlevi

Location (City and/or State)
California, North Hollywood, LA
my friend has two 1 foot long red eared slider turtles living with koy in a pool remodeled into a pond and my problem that I want to help him with is his turtles because they keep eating their babies after they have them or could it be the koi fish?
The turtles in the pond are eating mosquito larvae and some commercial turtle food once every two weeks. is that enough to sustain and keep them healthy and keep them from starving?
also I was wondering if red ear slider turtles could live outside in 90 degree during the day and a little more than 50 at night

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the fish are big, it's probably the fish eating the baby turtles. Birds will take them as they emerge from the nests too. I feed my pond turtles daily or sometimes every other day. I think once every two weeks isn't good enough unless there are lots of native food sources (Plants, snails, slow moving fish, etc.)

As long as the pond doesn't get that hot, RES are very hardy turtles. Water plants help with shade to cool the water. The night time temp is fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They should be fed daily unless like Yvonne said there are lots of native things for them too eat.
A friend of a friend has a big pond with lots of koi and turtles. The pond has a beach like entrance where the babies are laid and can get to the water in a shallow area that the fish are to big to get into. She doesn't have a problem with loosing babies. They probably need to put the babies in their own smaller enclosure or add easier hiding places, like plants or give a shallow end that the fish can't get too.

nathanlevi

California, North Hollywood, LA
If the fish are big, it's probably the fish eating the baby turtles. Birds will take them as they emerge from the nests too. I feed my pond turtles daily or sometimes every other day. I think once every two weeks isn't good enough unless there are lots of native food sources (Plants, snails, slow moving fish, etc.)

As long as the pond doesn't get that hot, RES are very hardy turtles. Water plants help with shade to cool the water. The night time temp is fine.
There are small fish 1 inch fish in the pond and moskito larvae probably.