Water used for drinking and soaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardline

5 Year Member
My gal was told that the water used for the turtle for drinking and forced soaks needed to be drinking water. Is that a fact or is tap water acceptable?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I don't see any reason why tap water wouldn't be acceptable for soaks and drinking. I use tap water. We just recently had this discussion. Tom had suggested rain water in a spray bottle for rinses and daily spraying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use regular untreated tap water for drinking and soaking. I have for decades. Ever since my first turtle in 1979.

I use the rainwater for after soak rinsing and daily spraying to prevent hard water stains.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If the tap water is safe for you to drink, it should be ok for your tort. You might fill some into a jug and let it sit overnight to let some of the chlorine dissipate.

In the wild, torts drink out of muddy puddles and streams - both are high in minerals and other junk. Using bottled water is probably overkill. I do like the idea of rain water, although collecting it from roof-run-off may be dangerous if the roof has been treated for moss...

Tom said:
I use regular untreated tap water for drinking and soaking. I have for decades. Ever since my first turtle in 1979.

I use the rainwater for after soak rinsing and daily spraying to prevent hard water stains.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Tap water is fine. they dont need to bathe and poop in store bought water. But then i dont buy special organic food for mine either. If im going to spend the money on that stuff it will be for my family first.

Status
Not open for further replies.