we adopted a senior dog

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
He's clean! This is the first time I've pet his chest without the feel of nasty on my hand LOL

0608151301b.jpg

0608151305.jpg

0608151310.jpg

It's been really hot here (103F in Oregon!) so I've been using the laundry room as his "crate" for when we aren't home. Hopefully his new indoor lifestyle keeps him cleaner and happier!

0608151303c.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Love the story. Glad everyone is happy. Only a well behaved dog could pick out his new family knowing he would be a pleasure to be with. I love it !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. 11 years ago when I was still working at a vet clinic we had a relinquished dachshund come into the clinic because they didn't want to pay for a dental that was needed. Well she was 10 years old. My mom still adopted her and still to this day she is alive and going strong. 21 years old. Sometimes adopting the older guys are the best. He looks awesome. He'd be sleeping in my bed in no time with Otis.

Haha Otis is hilarious.
image.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
@leigti Muttley was hungry after all day with no food. So, instead of waiting for breakfast he got his first raw meal for dinner.
Starting small he had 12oz. of chicken wingettes drizzled with tuna juices to entice him to eat it. He took it right away! Chomping and crunching away :) I'm so happy!

0608151740a.jpg

0608151740b.jpg

He didn't eat the last 2 pieces because the tuna juices were gone but it's a great start in my book!

He spent the next hour laying down, relaxing and has shown no side effects yet.
..now off to figure out that raw diet forum LOL

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow Kelly, 21 years old. That's awesome!
Yep. Of course my mom being a holistic doctor adds all sorts of goodies to there food prolonging many issues Canines can have at geratric level. Bone meal, French green clay, turmeric powder, calcium, coconut oil, pffff I'm sure like a billion other things too. I also still have my Australian Shepard that's just turned 15. He's still the best guard dog ever. Killed a skunk the other day trying to venture into the tortoise pen. Anyways enough of my blabbing. Muttley looks awesome and happy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Kelly that is fantastic. I am so happy for both you and Heathers dogs. That's the kind of life every animal, and specially older ones need. A great loving home. Keep up the great work you guys

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@leigti Muttley was hungry after all day with no food. So, instead of waiting for breakfast he got his first raw meal for dinner.
Starting small he had 12oz. of chicken wingettes drizzled with tuna juices to entice him to eat it. He took it right away! Chomping and crunching away :) I'm so happy!

View attachment 133436

View attachment 133437

He didn't eat the last 2 pieces because the tuna juices were gone but it's a great start in my book!

He spent the next hour laying down, relaxing and has shown no side effects yet.
..now off to figure out that raw diet forum LOL
That's great. He did take to it quick. I always got nervous feeding my dog chicken wings but she never had any problems. For some reason I felt safer with chicken backs, not rational but oh well.
What's up with this heat? It's 102° here. When it cools down I'll let her outside and give her a turkey neck.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is a great story, Heather!good for the dog, you the boys and probably the nice neighbors. Older dogs are the best ever!!
Keep up the pictures.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Old(er) dogs rock. This post made me weepy. So awesome. We adopted our white German Shepherd 4 years ago. They suspected he was between 6-8 years old then and he was gonna be euthanized due to a host of medical issues/lack of interest. We got him well ($1000+ later!) and he is the best guy ever.

Kaiser7.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think there is something special about an old dog. It's too bad they don't live as long as tortoises. But in a way that lets us get to know many different ones through our life. They are all special in their own way. Here is a picture of a picture, cell phones didn't exist back then, of my 17 year old dog Misty. It was taken six months before she passed away. I still miss her sometimes.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434687238.537387.jpg
We got her from an animal shelter when she was eight weeks old. We think she was a cocker spaniel sheltie cross.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know why I said "we". She was my dog all the way, I picked her out, I trained her, I took care of her every day. She was a part of my life from eighth grade through college and a then a new career and a move halfway across the country.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
For anyone interested in Muttley's diet change... It's going wonderfully!
He enjoys his meals tremendously... :cool:

It takes work to plan it, make sure it's balanced and prep it all but if you can do it, it's worth it! The benefits are amazing so far..And it's still the beginning.
His coat is softer and shinier
The dandruff is gone
His arthritis has decreased
The doggy smell has decreased
The bad dog breath is gone
The plaque is almost all gone from his once covered in it teeth
He's no longer drinking buckets of water a day
The urine isn't burning the grass anymore
He went from massive MASSIVE mounds of crap and multiple each day to tiny poops that crumble away in days (another favorite feature of this diet when I fed it to the great Danes lol)
No more hot spots

I love this dog. He's awesome! I gotta get another recent photo of him on here..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I know it's still early in the diet change to give it such credit... But it's my " unprofessional, purely observational diagnosis" ;) thus far and having fed this in the past...I know where it's headed ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Muttley has been awarded the "best dog in the whole world" award by my family. Seriously, he's the best. Very well behaved and even great off leash. He's been going with us everywhere! (well almost everywhere )
Most people think he's a service dog when we are out because he acts just like one (the calm nature etc).
I want to take the CGC test with him. :)

I've also discovered his love for water! Super fun to take him to the river and play ball!
2015-09-07_16.31.41.jpg

Any of you ever taken the Canine Good Citizen test?