we get our first two leopards on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So excited! I have been getting ready for this day for 2 months now! Our enclosure is all set up and has been running for a month, plants are growing and ready for hiding under or being nibbled on. :D tomorrow's going to be the longest day ever!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Are you picking them up? I didn't know that you could get them shipped on Sundays...

Anyways, I was very excited when I got mine so I definitely know how you feel. Where did you get them from?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Yes, we are picking them up in Georgetown. There is a man named mark who breeds them that we met at the last expo that rolled through. He follows fife's methods and even insisted on us using humidity as an inti pyramid technique at the expo. That's one of the reasons I went with him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
YA, how exciting. You will love them. I still can't get over how cute mine is and I have had him since May, 2011. My only mistake, I only got one:( oh ya, and that i didn't find this forum soon enough :D

BTW, just incase you haven't read them yet. Toms threads at the bottom of my post are the perfect way to raise your Leo's. even the sulcata threads. They are raised the same.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I hear you on that! I had built my whole enclosure the wrong (dry) way. Well I switched some stuff around and now I'm on the right track. I was on the fence about two but we have the space, resources and budget so I caved
:)
Yea I have! You sent me to those threads on the first day I was on here!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Congrats!
that is very exciting......dont forget to post TONS of pictures!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I suggest you get either one or three? Pairs are not a good idea. There is a thread with more explanation in my signature. Its called "Pairs".

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
We were planning on getting the third after they get big enough to go outside permanently/sex. Can they be aggressive as juveniles? We just don't want to end up with 2.1 and have her under constant harassment. We also have 3 hides, several site blockers, & lots of plants to hide amongst. Just to give you an idea of our set up. And if bulling does happen we do and are prepared to separate. And keep separate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't do it. Pair dynamics are often a bad thing. There does not have to be any overt aggression for the less dominant one to feel intimidated and stressed. Just the presence of the other one is enough. They are solitary animals and prefer to not have to share. In groups they do better, but in a one on one situation one animal will always be the loser. In the wild he would leave the area and go find his own space. In our enclosures he can't get away. When there are three or more, it is just a different dynamic.

BTW, leopards are usually pretty mild mannered about this stuff. Many people keep multiple male adults in large yards together without issue, so I wouldn't worry too much about the sex ratio. All the things you are doing do help this problem, but they don't eliminate it.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Blargh! I was afraid of that. Looks like we will only get one or a second enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortugatamer said:
Blargh! I was afraid of that. Looks like we will only get one or a second enclosure.

Hey. Look at my signature. I'm all about getting more tortoises. :D :p

A second enclosure is a great idea.

Whatever you choose, good luck, and post pics for us. Sounds like you found a good source.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I hear ya. I have three dogs, three chickens (they also do better as trios), might as well keep it even. And I'm ready to take so many photos. Thanks for the advice. :D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hmmm, I think I know who you are talking about. He had sulcatas and leopards if iirc. Tall blonde guy? Personally, id look elsewhere, I was not impressed with him but thats just me. I didnt think his animals looked all that good....

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I didn't think he was tall, and I thought he had brown hair. But nothing is written in stone. If they look sick, I'll just wait till warmer weather and order online.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
You have done your homework, you are totally ready. Trust your gut instinct. 1 more day!!!! Most importantly.... POST LOTS OF PICS!!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hmmm, maybe it's a different guy but the guy I spoke with was from Georgetown...pretty random lol. But you're right, if they look good get 'em!

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
***Drum roll***
1357507388_zpsdaab4e61.jpg

1357507383_zps51983f4c.jpg

1357507374_zpse60823b9.jpg

1357507381_zpsf5ba16b0.jpg

Enter The Dread Pirate Rufus the Toofless!!

Status
Not open for further replies.