We need help diagnosing! Has anyone seen this happen?

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
We are picking this guy up in the morning from a friend of a friend. Apparently they found him, tried to keep him and their boxer thought he was a toy. His shell had color before the dog incident. Now it looks like he was bleached. How do I address this? Thank you in advance.
Katie
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426132412.028522.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426132428.578337.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426132441.511949.jpg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
that is a male russian tortoise. all the white you are seeing is dead bone, caused by the shell being damaged. over years and years the dead bone will fall off exposing brand new keratin. there is nothing you can do but let it heal on its own. here is a pic of a sulcata after most of the dead bone has fallen off, its not the pretty.
10685412_10153081084544571_3369151806628843690_n copy.jpg

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh. That makes my belly sick.

Is there any special care I need to be giving him?

Length of quarantine?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know if that is what it is, but I do remember seeing a thread with the tortoise that looked similar that Yvonne G was rehabbing.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It looks to me as if this tort was in a fire. That is the only time I've seen such extensive scute damage. If the scutes regrow, it will take several years. In terms of care, give it a good round diet, try to keep the bone clean (water only) and wait. If it is to recover, it will do so. I am aware of more than one tort that has nothing more than a bleached bone carapace.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you adopting this tortoise? I would still do it. Yvonne said that her tortoise has lived like that for years. Don't give up on it. Yes, dogs and tortoises do not mix. It is amazing that he didn't damage the tortoises fleshy part, he must've shut up really tight. I can't really tell what kind of tortoise it is.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Are you adopting this tortoise? I would still do it. Yvonne said that her tortoise has lived like that for years. Don't give up on it. Yes, dogs and tortoises do not mix. It is amazing that he didn't damage the tortoises fleshy part, he must've shut up really tight. I can't really tell what kind of tortoise it is.
its a russian tortoise.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
BTW, the bone should NOT come off. Eventually the keratin scutes will cover the bare bone - if it regrows. I have two torts that have had more than 20% of the carapace that was nothing more than bone. Both have regrown scutes so that now neither have more than 5% or so showing. That regrowth took 5 - 8 years.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
BTW, the bone should NOT come off. Eventually the keratin scutes will cover the bare bone - if it regrows. I have two torts that have had more than 20% of the carapace that was nothing more than bone. Both have regrown scutes so that now neither have more than 5% or so showing. That regrowth took 5 - 8 years.
i thought the bone flakes off and new keratin is underneath? the pic i posted shows the old bone coming off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We are picking this guy up in the morning from a friend of a friend. Apparently they found him, tried to keep him and their boxer thought he was a toy. His shell had color before the dog incident. Now it looks like he was bleached. How do I address this? Thank you in advance.
Katie
View attachment 121709View attachment 121710View attachment 121711

What medical care has been offered to the tortoise while healing? I mean, usually antibiotics are required in order to avoid deep slow moving infections....

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe people did it to the tortoise instead of the dog. And I don't want to admit it. Because the dog was extremely thorough. And no fleshy wounds.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Yes, we will adopt and take care of him. It breaks my heart.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Maybe people did it to the tortoise instead of the dog. And I don't want to admit it. Because the dog was extremely thorough. And no fleshy wounds.
Apparently they have children but I'm unsure of the ages.