Weeds

Eadie

Location (City and/or State)
Kent England
Morning all hope this is ok to ask
I've been out on my garden this morning collecting weeds these are a few that I have found can anyone tell me if they are all safe please

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_073752254.jpg
    IMG_20220315_073752254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I've been out on my garden this morning collecting weeds these are a few that I have found can anyone tell me if they are all safe please
Dandelion is certainly very good - both leaves and flowers - I suggest you rinse it well first, in case cats or other creatures have messed on it. Luck you, having dandelion flowers already this spring !
Angie

Eadie

Kent England
Dandelion is certainly very good - both leaves and flowers - I suggest you rinse it well first, in case cats or other creatures have messed on it. Luck you, having dandelion flowers already this spring !
Angie
Thanks Angie yeah I've given them all a wash off
I've only found one dandelion so far 🤣
I wasn't too sure about the grass 🤷🏼‍♀️

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks Angie yeah I've given them all a wash off
I've only found one dandelion so far 🤣
I wasn't too sure about the grass 🤷🏼‍♀️
I'm not sure about grass - I think you would want to break the stems up into short pieces - I remember Zola once managed to swallow a whole grass stem when he was little, and it caused a bit of a problem when he tried to poo it out eventually. Grass is fine to eat, though,of course.
Angie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That small grouping of leaves next to to dandelion LOOK 👀like either new leaves from a tree or a rose bush. Id not feed those…

then, to the left of the “rose leaves” looks like “Sticky Willy”

➡️ Galium aparine, with common names including cleavers, clivers, catchweed and sticky willy among others, is an annual, herbaceous plant of the family Rubiaceae.

From the Tort Table
  • Common Name: Goose Grass (Cleavers, Stickywilly, Sticky Bud, Stickyweed, White Bedstraw)
  • Latin Name: Galium aparine, Galium mollugo, Galium album
  • Family Name: Rubiaceae
Goose Grass has a diuretic effect, so it is possible to become dehydrated if too much is eaten. Also, it contains the chemical compound coumarin, which soaks up nitrogen in the form of nitrates from the soil, so although a small amount of this plant will not harm your tortoise, it should never be more than a small percentage of a varied diet. Also known as Sticky Weed, Catchweed, Robin-run-the-hedge, and Coachweed.

Of course the Dandelion, and broadleafed leaves & grass all look pretty good to feed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's easier for us to I.D. plants when we can see the plant growing in the ground. To me, the elongated leaf on the bottom left looks like one of the prickly lettuce, sow thistle type plants, and they are edible. But we might steer you wrong when we have to guess like this.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's easier for us to I.D. plants when we can see the plant growing in the ground. To me, the elongated leaf on the bottom left looks like one of the prickly lettuce, sow thistle type plants, and they are edible. But we might steer you wrong when we have to guess like this.
Agreed on photos of plants in the ground being better than just leaves but I'm sure the one on the left is bristly ox tongue, which is indeed in the sow thistle family. And safe.

Can't say other than that besides the sow thistle that's already been identified on the right.

Eadie

Kent England
That small grouping of leaves next to to dandelion LOOK 👀like either new leaves from a tree or a rose bush. Id not feed those…

then, to the left of the “rose leaves” looks like “Sticky Willy”

➡️ Galium aparine, with common names including cleavers, clivers, catchweed and sticky willy among others, is an annual, herbaceous plant of the family Rubiaceae.

From the Tort Table
  • Common Name: Goose Grass (Cleavers, Stickywilly, Sticky Bud, Stickyweed, White Bedstraw)
  • Latin Name: Galium aparine, Galium mollugo, Galium album
  • Family Name: Rubiaceae
Goose Grass has a diuretic effect, so it is possible to become dehydrated if too much is eaten. Also, it contains the chemical compound coumarin, which soaks up nitrogen in the form of nitrates from the soil, so although a small amount of this plant will not harm your tortoise, it should never be more than a small percentage of a varied diet. Also known as Sticky Weed, Catchweed, Robin-run-the-hedge, and Coachweed.

Of course the Dandelion, and broadleafed leaves & grass all look pretty good to feed.
Ah thanks so much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species of tortoise are you feeding? I ask because of the grass. Most Testudo are not grass eaters, but grass can be used to mix with grocery store greens for added fiber. Its not harmful in any way, but its not necessary for them either. I cut grass into shorter section with scissors. Smaller pieces for smaller tortoises and longer pieces for larger tortoises, but never as long as the grass blades in your picture.

Bristly ox tongue is great tort food. Dandelion and rose leaves are both great too, but be sure the roses aren't treated with any pesticides or other chemicals, as most "rose foods" have other stuff too.

I don't know what the remaining pant is.

Eadie

Kent England
What species of tortoise are you feeding? I ask because of the grass. Most Testudo are not grass eaters, but grass can be used to mix with grocery store greens for added fiber. Its not harmful in any way, but its not necessary for them either. I cut grass into shorter section with scissors. Smaller pieces for smaller tortoises and longer pieces for larger tortoises, but never as long as the grass blades in your picture.

Bristly ox tongue is great tort food. Dandelion and rose leaves are both great too, but be sure the roses aren't treated with any pesticides or other chemicals, as most "rose foods" have other stuff too.

I don't know what the remaining pant is.
Thanks Tom he's a 4 year old hermanns which I was told was a Dalmatian (not sure whether you think the same I have added a couple of pics if you don't mind having a look ?)
Also the grass was before I put it in with him so it was cut before given to him 🙂

Attachments

• IMG-20220310-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220310-WA0004.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220310-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220310-WA0005.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220315-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220315-WA0003.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220310-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20220310-WA0008.jpg