Weighing Lumpy - 149 Lbs

SWFLTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bonita Springs, FL
Hi All,

I posted a thread about Lumpy in the introduction section, but I wanted to put my subsequent threads here.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/our-new-resident-lumpy.174722/

Lumpy has not been weighed in a while. His previous owners had no idea how much he weighs.

I rigged up a small crane scale and we coaxed Lumpy under it with a bit of watermelon. I used a doubled over tarp/dropcloth with rope from each of the 4 corners. We attempted to lift him in this makeshift sling and it tore before we were able to get him off the ground.

I thought, heck, I guess we will have to try again another day. Much to our surprise, however, it did not phase him one bit. Since he was still chilling and eating his watermelon, I grabbed a strap to see if that would work. IT DID!

Before weighing him we estimated he weighed between 100 and 120. Much to our surprise he weighs 149 lbs!

I plan to come up with a better sling for lifting him so we can weigh him occasionally, but we are glad to have a baseline weight.

He did not mind being weighed at all.
20190417_114041.jpg 20190404_165009.jpg

SWFLTortoise

Bonita Springs, FL
Wow! Well do e for coming up with a method! Do you think he is full grown now?
I am under the impression (possibly misguided) that most reptiles don't stop growing, just slow down. Hence the reason sometimes gators get extraordinarily large (if they survive long enough).

I've seen posts of Sulcatas over 200 and approaching 300, but that is rare.

Since there are a lot of Sulcatas in captivity for around 20 years (when the market exploded) but not a lot of 30 and 40 year old captive Sulcatas, I think he, and the other 20-somethings, will continue to slowly grow.

I'm much less educated on the topic than many others here, so I may be wrong and he may have plateaued with his size and weight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought one of those "as-seen-on-TV" straps that two people can use to lift a refrigerator, but so far I haven't had anyone come over where we could try it out.
143050_65x65.jpg

I've been saying that my Dudley weights about 110 lbs now for several years. I'm really wanting to know the truth.

SWFLTortoise

Bonita Springs, FL
I bought one of those "as-seen-on-TV" straps that two people can use to lift a refrigerator, but so far I haven't had anyone come over where we could try it out.
143050_65x65.jpg

I've been saying that my Dudley weights about 110 lbs now for several years. I'm really wanting to know the truth.
Wish I lived closer, I'd be happy to help.