Weight and health of my horsefield tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Hi I was wondering I have got a horsefield tortoise and I wasn't sure if i need to weigh and measure her every month of so to tell is she is eating enough or to much?
Also do tortoises need anything when u get them as in worming or anything like that?
I am just curious and want to do everything right for her :)
Would be great full for any of your responses

Rebecca ImageUploadedByTortForum1372699088.352917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
For a new tort it is worth weighing once a month. You are looking for significant weight loss ...they are unlikely to over eat.

Your tort's weight will vary through the day due to eating, peeing and pooping, just like yours does, so try to weigh at roughly the same time of day each time and remember that torts do massive poops. If weight goes down a little, don't freak out... your tort has probably just been to the toilet!

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Thank you :) also do u know about measuring tortoise should I do that?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Measuring is purely for your entertainment. There is no guide to how much they should grow as they all grow at different rates depending on environment, diet, whether wild caught or captive bred, etc. :)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Ohhh ok thanx
Is the McIntyre ratio a load of rubbish then? I saw that on the Internet when trying to find answers a while ago

Oh and sorry for bothering u again lol this should b the last question. do u know the answers for if they need any worming things or anything from the vet?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It's always a good idea with a new tortoise, to have a fecal and swab test done for parasites. Make sure your vet understands you just want the parasite test and then compare the treatment plan they recommend with suggested plans here on the forum. Many vets seem to think tortoises need vitamin injections, and these injections often lead to the death of the tortoise. Most russian tortoises in the pet trade, unless hatchlings, are wild caught and therefore often have a fair amount of internal parasites. Hope this helps.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Thank u cowboy_ken :) i will try to get untouched with a vet. It's hard finding one that deals with tortoise coz my local one said they don't generally deal with tortoise but would do a test if I wanted then looked on google and it came up with a list of vets that see tortoises nd there r a few close but the rest v far away. My mum called the place (coz i been ill for a long time so mum helps with everything) and they said they do have a vet there that is v interested in tortoise and knows quite a lot but they don't do the fecal tests so I was v confused

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The fecal test is pretty much the same smear/float test that they would do for dogs, cats, or farm animals. It's the treatments that would be different.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Is it most common to measure tortoises by the length of the bottom shell?

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Not entirely sure as havent done it myself but hopefully someone will answer ur question :)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
I was looking for the light reflector that I have been asking questions about but at the same time came across this what do u think?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372933165.964025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have no experience of them, but I do know a similar postal service available in the UK that is OK. They only tell you what's there, not how to treat it.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Do u use the mcentire ratio for horsefield tortoises ?

Oh ok thanx I will try calling your vet first :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes. To be honest I go by feel. If a tort feels heavy for its size, it's fine. The ones I would worry about are lighter than expected when picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.