Horsefield Tortoise

Williammurphy

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi!

My name is William, I am 21 from Glasgow Scotland. I purchased my first ever tortoise, Chelly (I'm creative can't you tell ;)). The breeder told me she was a Horsefield Tortoise from Russia and provided certificates showing her egg number and DOB etc. So I am certain that this correct.

I have had Chelly a little over a year now. She is incredibly healthy, active and has a healthy appetite (stools and urine are all healthy looking).

I joined this as it seemed like a family of fellow minded people who share the same passion for Tortoises, I had a question.

Whats the easiest way to tell if Chelly is at a healthy weight? Or if she is under/overweight. I weigh her every week to keep progress. She's is turning 2 in December and is currently at 210 grams. Is this healthy? I worry sometimes I am not doing the right thing which is why I thought there wasn't a better place to check than here.

Also in terms of substrate/enclosure, can anyone recommend an upgrade to what she currently has? She has a 30" by 20" by 35" enclosure. The breeder told me she was too small for a tortoise enclosure, but I feel she is close to outgrowing her enclosure and may need a new one soon, very soon infact. Any recommendations?

Please see attached a photo of chelly for you to enjoy. (This was taken when I first got her, I will get an up to date one today so you can see the difference in her!)

Kind regards,

William :)Screenshot_20220726-034350_Instagram.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi William, and welcome to the Forum!

Chelly is awfully cute! I love the look on his/her face in that picture.

I like using orchid bark (fir bark). You can find it in plant nurseries. It usually comes in three sizes, fine, medium and large, and I like the fine. It seems easier for them to walk on.

I don't go by weight charts or 'normal' I just go by if the tortoise feels comparable to a rock of the same size when I pick it up. If it feel light, it probably needs to gain weight.

Here's a link to a care sheet that will help you take care of CHelly: