welcome Mikey

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Sorry to be beating a dead horse, I could just be paranoid that something is wrong...Mikey isnt eating. We got him Saturday morning and when we brought him home he pooped so I figure he had are something relatively recently but he hasn't eaten since then....sleeps ALL THE TIME. could he be trying to hibernate?? I have been told they do sleep alot but hes not eating and that's what's got me worried. There is a couple dark areas on the opposite side from his basking lamp that he had been in since yesterday after his bath, should I move the lamps to eliminate the dark areas? He was sleeping or laying there with his eyes closed during his bath too.
He could be nervous. I just had a box turtle hatch from one of my eggs and he is a nervous little thing. He won't eat in front of me he runs if I interrupt his lunch time. If haven't already I would take a lid for something and put some food on it for him and put it in his enclosure. Having a new tort or turt can be nerve-wracking. I wish you guys the best of luck [emoji3526]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
He could be nervous. I just had a box turtle hatch from one of my eggs and he is a nervous little thing. He won't eat in front of me he runs if I interrupt his lunch time. If haven't already I would take a lid for something and put some food on it for him and put it in his enclosure. Having a new tort or turt can be nerve-wracking. I wish you guys the best of luck [emoji3526]
Also I noticed if bubba is asleep when I pick him up it takes him a minute to wake up and open his eyes.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I have two places in his enclosure that I have set food. I'm hoping it is just nerves...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry to be beating a dead horse, I could just be paranoid that something is wrong...Mikey isnt eating. We got him Saturday morning and when we brought him home he pooped so I figure he had are something relatively recently but he hasn't eaten since then....sleeps ALL THE TIME. could he be trying to hibernate?? I have been told they do sleep alot but hes not eating and that's what's got me worried. There is a couple dark areas on the opposite side from his basking lamp that he had been in since yesterday after his bath, should I move the lamps to eliminate the dark areas? He was sleeping or laying there with his eyes closed during his bath too.
When I was a brand new first time owner I was feeling the same as you. What I would do is one food tile close to the morning sun hide in a warm spot. If Mikey doesn't come out by around 10ish then pick him up and place him just near the food. Not next to it. Make him have to walk by the food to go to his favorite pouting spot. It probably is stress so don't stand over him. Just keep stuff really quiet and check later. He's probably not going to eat with you watching at first. I still don't bother Saphire if he's eating. It's only been a couple of days. He's probably ok. Just stressed.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
When I was a brand new first time owner I was feeling the same as you. What I would do is one food tile close to the morning sun hide in a warm spot. If Mikey doesn't come out by around 10ish then pick him up and place him just near the food. Not next to it. Make him have to walk by the food to go to his favorite pouting spot. It probably is stress so don't stand over him. Just keep stuff really quiet and check later. He's probably not going to eat with you watching at first. I still don't bother Saphire if he's eating. It's only been a couple of days. He's probably ok. Just stressed.
his favorite pouting spot, love it lol I will do that

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
his favorite pouting spot, love it lol I will do that
Yep it's hilarious. Dang little in duh viduals. I've never allowed mine to hibernate because I don't fully understand how. I've read a Russian doesn't need to anyway. So I wake him up if he tries to sleep for more then a day or two. More experienced members could have a different opinion. Listen to them.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Yep it's hilarious. Dang little in duh viduals. I've never allowed mine to hibernate because I don't fully understand how. I've read a Russian doesn't need to anyway. So I wake him up if he tries to sleep for more then a day or two. More experienced members could have a different opinion. Listen to them.
LOL!! I dont want him to hibernate either, I read something about putting them in the fridge!! I was like, what the hell??? He moved from one end to the other at some point today, to get warm. i may put him in his hide tonight before i turn his lights off, he hasn't went in it yet so...i maybe he will feel more safe and less stressed if hes hiding... Thank you so much for chatting with me!! People like you who are willing to help is the reason I was comfortable getting one

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
LOL!! I dont want him to hibernate either, I read something about putting them in the fridge!! I was like, what the hell??? He moved from one end to the other at some point today, to get warm. i may put him in his hide tonight before i turn his lights off, he hasn't went in it yet so...i maybe he will feel more safe and less stressed if hes hiding... Thank you so much for chatting with me!! People like you who are willing to help is the reason I was comfortable getting one
My little guy wasn't really healthy when I got him so I've never even considered it. I don't understand why a Russian would have to be refrigerated either. It just doesn't seem to be natural for them. I could be wrong so I do let him slow down but last winter he was up moving and eating almost everyday. I've gotten so used to him that I know what days he'll be out and about early. I can feel it in the air and it's sunny also. You are so welcome. It really helped me to have the chats here on TFO. I lived many years without that and it was really hard.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
My little guy wasn't really healthy when I got him so I've never even considered it. I don't understand why a Russian would have to be refrigerated either. It just doesn't seem to be natural for them. I could be wrong so I do let him slow down but last winter he was up moving and eating almost everyday. I've gotten so used to him that I know what days he'll be out and about early. I can feel it in the air and it's sunny also. You are so welcome. It really helped me to have the chats here on TFO. I lived many years without that and it was really hard.
I couldn't do it, I over think way to much and have read so much material , I need experienced people to tell me what to do lol. I'm looking forward to those days with our little guy

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I couldn't do it, I over think way to much and have read so much material , I need experienced people to tell me what to do lol. I'm looking forward to those days with our little guy
I've had Saphire since 2007. I got so fed up with all the misinformation that I stopped even asking. A pet shop told me to feed my vegan tortoise turtle food once. BUT in August 2018 I happened on TFO. I had somehow learned how to use a smartphone and found them one night and joined on a lark. I had no clue how much help I was going to find. It's so wonderful to have so many seasoned tortoise lovers to talk to. They can tell you what you're doing right or wrong. Both are important.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I've had Saphire since 2007. I got so fed up with all the misinformation that I stopped even asking. A pet shop told me to feed my vegan tortoise turtle food once. BUT in August 2018 I happened on TFO. I had somehow learned how to use a smartphone and found them one night and joined on a lark. I had no clue how much help I was going to find. It's so wonderful to have so many seasoned tortoise lovers to talk to. They can tell you what you're doing right or wrong. Both are important.
I got so much help about my lights and substrate just from a pic I posted...I went to a pet store today to get a UVB bulb... the dude was clueless about them, told me all sorts of wrong info.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got so much help about my lights and substrate just from a pic I posted...I went to a pet store today to get a UVB bulb... the dude was clueless about them, told me all sorts of wrong info.
I went to my usual pet shop lately and we were discussing fish issues...he decided to do what I went there to buy for his fish...and I'm a novice. But really, I like hearing about their experiences too with their own fish so...we have a chat.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I went to my usual pet shop lately and we were discussing fish issues...he decided to do what I went there to buy for his fish...and I'm a novice. But really, I like hearing about their experiences too with their own fish so...we have a chat.
lol, I wonder If pet shop employees have to learn script?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
lol, I wonder If pet shop employees have to learn script?
They always try to lead me to the store brand and it's cheaper..cheap cheap but then we get chatting sooo...stuff happens...and we talk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sometimes takes a couple weeks for a new tortoise to settle in and realize he's going to be safe in his new environment. But just double check the temperatures all over the whole enclosure. A tortoise won't eat if he can't get his inner core up to at least 80F degrees.

Another thing to consider: In the wild Russian tortoises dig in and brumate 6 months or more out of the year. Mikey is wild caught and this might be something he's conditioned to do. They stop eating for a couple weeks to clear out their digestive tract prior to brumation. This might be what's happening with Mikey. You're going to have to fool him into thinking it's really still summer - long, hot summer days and warm nights. And cover that window so he can't see or feel the weather and length of the day outside.