welcome Mikey

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Good luck with your new guy! Id dampen your substrate a wee bit more. Your epiphytes look like appetizers!

Good luck!
thank you, hes much loved already. I wet it down good earlier but the heat lamp dries it out rather quickly, I can tell it's going to be a frequent fight lol. I hope he likes them

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
lol, hes fun to watch although he's been mostly sleepy
I have a little Russian and just be really aware that They can climb stuff. When I at first got Saphire I watched him for hours just to see what he could do. He showed me how to baby proof his home away from home.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I have a little Russian and just be really aware that They can climb stuff. When I at first got Saphire I watched him for hours just to see what he could do. He showed me how to baby proof his home away from home.
I have read that! lol. I made sure the walls are smooth and unclimbable... head been sleeping since we brought him home

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have read that! lol. I made sure the walls are smooth and unclimbable... head been sleeping since we brought him home
They are such a funny little tortoise. Congratulations on your little one. I would love to have a big tortoise but I knew that I could do a better job with a little guy. I've never regretted it for one second.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
They are such a funny little tortoise. Congratulations on your little one. I would love to have a big tortoise but I knew that I could do a better job with a little guy. I've never regretted it for one second.
Thank you, we're very excited to watch him grow! I would have liked to start from a hatchling but my son saw this guy and it was over lol. This is our first ever reptile so I wanted a good beginner pet, he is already very much loved !

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Watch the light with the clip-no good the clip fails and falls. Bad it gets your Tort or even starts a fire! Just use some PVC to make a support to hang it. otherwise just keep you eyes peeled because if there are ways to escape you will be shown them soon!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I would glue a couple rails to that ramp to prevent falling/flipping over...but that is a nice corner table you got going. As for moistening the substrate being a struggle, I find using a 2 liter bottle with a hole drilled in the cap does the job well and drizzles it out at a rate allowing you to get the whole enclosure done and without soaking it. Use a spray bottle to get any stubborn surface dryness.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I would glue a couple rails to that ramp to prevent falling/flipping over...but that is a nice corner table you got going. As for moistening the substrate being a struggle, I find using a 2 liter bottle with a hole drilled in the cap does the job well and drizzles it out at a rate allowing you to get the whole enclosure done and without soaking it. Use a spray bottle to get any stubborn surface dryness.
thank you, I hope he enjoys it, it was a pain to build lol. I was thinking about a railing, will do! I have a gallon garden sprayer for the substrate, Mikey gets a tiny shower from it to lol

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Watch the light with the clip-no good the clip fails and falls. Bad it gets your Tort or even starts a fire! Just use some PVC to make a support to hang it. otherwise just keep you eyes peeled because if there are ways to escape you will be shown them soon!
what part of the clip fails?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you, we're very excited to watch him grow! I would have liked to start from a hatchling but my son saw this guy and it was over lol. This is our first ever reptile so I wanted a good beginner pet, he is already very much loved !
You are actually better off by buying an adult since this is your first tortoise. There's a lot to raising a hatchling. You've bypassed all that by rescuing a tortoise that really needs a home anyway so...you have lots of time to learn if you decide later to adopt a baby also. The hatchlings are way harder.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
You are actually better off by buying an adult since this is your first tortoise. There's a lot to raising a hatchling. You've bypassed all that by rescuing a tortoise that really needs a home anyway so...you have lots of time to learn if you decide later to adopt a baby also. The hatchlings are way harder.
that makes me feel so much better. How much do they sleep? He buried himself and has been sleeping since we brought him home... basically all day. is this normal?