welcome to my family...

Mammyjuls

BvtVaJ.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Ok changed his enclosed floor and put the stuff in also hot two temp one at cold side and a thermo - hygrometer at the warmer side also got a habistat thermostat .
So I can set the temp for day and for night and that controls it to make sure it dos not get to high or to low will post pics and yes I have started to look for plants for him

Since I have changed every think today he is now more active and moving about and exploring as he was just sleeping all the time before that he looks a lot happier now .

My humidity is readying at about 60 si hoping that's fine and the temp is 30c in hot side and about 24c in cold side
24c is WAY TOO COOL. With high humidity and temps that low, your tort will be much more likely to get a respiratory infection. I learned this the hard way myself and trust me, you do not want to have to deal with that. You need to increase your temps to what is listed below as quickly as you can.
You want to have 4 different readings when it comes to temps: basking temp, warm side, cool side and night. Basking needs to be about 37c, warm side about 32c, cool side about 27-28c and night temps no lower than 26c. You need to use a temp gun and digital/probe style thermometers to get accurate readings (not the round, stick on disk types). I have several thermometers throughout my enclosure so I can monitor the different temps.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
But I was told to feed him toroise pelts and bag of drained tortoise fruit mix .is this right ??
I thought it was like cucumber and letters ect.... but not ice burger letters
NO FRUIT. He needs to be eating mostly weeds and flowers. Lettuce should only be used when fresh weeds aren't available. Click on this link and read it. It is written for Sulcata's, but it also applies to Leopards (just use less emphasis on grasses, although mine actually like grass). In the meantime, you can go to the grocery store and get some different types of lettuce to at least get him off the diet he is on. When I have to use grocery store greens, I use kale, radicchio, endive, escarole, frisee, dandelion greens, wheat grass and several others. What is all that dried up crunchy stuff in his food dish? Pelleted diets are ok in moderation, I usually offer mine a few pellets of Mazuri or Grassland tortoise food once or twice a week but it should not be their main diet. You need to get your guy on the right diet immediately and get those temps up and you'll be in much better shape :)

Mammyjuls

Ok thank you and I will do all them things now I have read a load of things but still got things wrong but my first time with a tortoise

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
And is there water in that dish? It
Ok thank you and I will do all them things now I have read a load of things but still got things wrong but my first time with a tortoise
Don't feel bad, I made a lot of mistakes myself. The important thing is you are asking questions and you are making an effort to get things in order...you are a good tort owner and your tort is lucky to have you!

Mammyjuls

Ok checked and done all them things and the temp were them so that was fine but have ajusted hes timer to keep them at that his humidity it 50 and give him the things to eat that you said so all good and thank you very much

Ohh yes we have also named him leo

Mammyjuls

As was told needs to be bigger enough for leo to get in if he needs too
Leo is eating very very happy now .

I am glad I asked as the shop told me to give him cucumber and strewberys and apples ect.....

As the shop said that's what they had been feeding him

Would still like pics of your enclouse tomorrow if you don't mind

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Sure I'll still post pictures of my enclosure. You should consider going back to the shop where you got him and directing them to this forum so they stop giving out bad info to their customers...might save more tort's lives that way. Also, be prepared to upgrade to a bigger enclosure sooner rather than later, these guys need a lot of room to roam.

Mammyjuls

Yes my husband is going to make a big one with will be about 7 or 7 ft by 4 ft and is going to have a two story one with up stairs .
And then I will need more light and a bigger heating source

Mammyjuls

Yes you would think if someone is selling the animals then they should now how to care for them but I have found it is amazing on how many don't now how to car for them

Mammyjuls

Hi can you give me an idea of were I can buy the plants and grass ext for leo as keep search and can not find any were

Also can I feed him the grass out of the garden

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hi can you give me an idea of were I can buy the plants and grass ext for leo as keep search and can not find any were

Also can I feed him the grass out of the garden
You can buy plants at nurseries, etc....but you need to re-pot into chemical free soil and wait for anything sprayed on the leaves to dissipate before feeding it to your tortoises or putting it into their enclosure. In my enclosure, I have a boston fern and a jade plant. You can also find what they call "pet/cat grass" at nurseries...that is almost always pesticide free and my torts really like it. You can also use fake plants in the meantime while you are waiting for the real plants to become safe. Were you able to find any of the food items I listed at the grocery store?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Here are some photos of my enclosure. The rocks in the circle are where the terra cotta water dishes go (I just had them out for cleaning). You can't really see the thermometers, but there is one in every corner and a probe just under the surface of the substrate underneath the MVB bulb. I'm planning to add one more bulb just for light, not heat, since it is a little dark in one corner during the day.
IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3561.JPG IMG_3562.JPG

Mammyjuls

Yes I found escarole endive radicchio and there is lollies Ross but been taking last one out as he dos not like it