Western Hermann's Tortoise (Testudo hermanni hermanni)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hey guys and gals, thought I'd come on here and post some photos of my true Testudo hermanni hermanni group (Western or Italian or French Hermann's Tortoises). These animals are extremely rare in collections especially in the USA and are much different in both appearance, price and sometimes size, depending on locality.

Here are photos of just some of my adults:
italians1.jpg

italians2.jpg

[img=640x480]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Loonacris/Testudohermannihermanniportrait.jpg[/img]
[img=640x480]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Loonacris/ApairoffemaleItaliantortoisesbaskin.jpg[/img]
[img=640x480]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Loonacris/thh1-1.jpg[/img]
digging2.jpg

Here are some photos of a few of this year's hatchlings:
flyingitalian.jpg

3italians1.jpg

blackplastron.jpg

pairofhatchlings3.jpg

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz California
How many tortoises do you have?Are you a breeder?Welcome to Tortoise Forum.org HermanniChris.Looks like they have a great place to live in!And a great owner.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
welcome to tfo!
your tortoises are beautiful. please tell us more about them

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Great pics.!! I cant wait for my boy to get his groove on. My female is of age but the male is not. Mine are Easterns though.
again Great pics, Thanks for sharing.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

I have around 40 tortoises and I also keep several turtles, Hermann's Tortoises (both subspecies) are my favorites and my specialty, I have been working with them for 14 years now.:shy:

B

Bansh88

Nice Pics. Really nice quality!
Is that a kid holding one in the pic? It looks like a big Hermann! What size are they?
I have 2 Westerns but they are both only about 5-6" in length.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That is my Girlfriend holding that Hermann's, while she does have tiny hands, that particular female is actually only 5", she's my smallest western.

Most eastern hermann's will attain at the very least 7" and usually more. There are specimens from Bulgaria that can get up to a foot in length. The westerns typically barley exceed 6".

B

Bansh88

Wow! So my boys might just be juveniles. They were purchased for me by a friend (who was in a weeklong alcohol binge) from a pet store. I have no background info on them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
In the United States, what is the typical price range for a Western Hermann's tortoise hatchling?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Baoh said:
In the United States, what is the typical price range for a Western Hermann's tortoise hatchling?

You wont see a Western hatchling for less than $250 in the US.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
JustAnja said:
Baoh said:

Thanks. I have a colony, but my females are a year or two away from being large enough to breed. My male is getting on anything and everything, though. I wanted to be fair when the time eventually comes.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Baoh said:
JustAnja said:
Baoh said:

Thanks. I have a colony, but my females are a year or two away from being large enough to breed. My male is getting on anything and everything, though. I wanted to be fair when the time eventually comes.

Can I ask where your future breeders came from? Got any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.