Western hingeback indoor enclosure

bexhex

Hi, new here. Just taken ownership of an unexpected rescue western hingeback (took a while to ID as previous owner had no idea of species, sex, age or how long she'd owned her!) now need to get an indoor enclosure ready for Winter. Really torn between viv or table for this species. I feel table may be easier to offer more space BUT I'm shocking at DIY and the only ok sized ready made table I have found is the vivexotic tortoise table with extension BUT sides are nowhere near high enough to safely offer 5-6 inches of substrate. I'm also concerned the glass doors on a viv would prevent 5-6 inches of substrate to.

If anyone can recommend links to suitable vivs with enough glass doors for substrate depth (looking at 5-6 foot and a good depth 2ft minimum for the space I have). She can come out in our heated conservatory (pet and people free) for free roam time in the day to as I feel a viv is too small all Winter.

Likewise if anyone can recommend ready made tables/flat pack tables that are deeper than the viv exotic, or cheap, easy ways to modify a vivexotic table with extension that would be fab! I know people use bookcases but I don't think I'm capable and I would need it on a stand to.

Thank you! If anyone can share hingeback enclosures (inside or out) I would love to see!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, if you are going to allow the tort to have mostly conservatory time then a smaller night or bad weather enclosure is going to be easier and a viv likely would be aok...what has the tort lived in thus far? What size is the tort?

bexhex

Definitely decided on a viv over a table now. It will be 5 or 6ft by 2ft depth and ordering it this week. 5-6 inches topsoil/coir substrate.

Is it appropriate/safe for her to go in a conservatory most days? Bearing in mind the humidity wouldn't be as high as in her viv? She shell length is approximately 16cm. Estimated as almost fully grown at around 8-10 years old.

Not sure what she was living in before I rescued her as it wasn't me who collected her, all I know is it wasn't appropriate, she was fed only strawberries and wasn't correctly supplemented. The lady wasn't sure how long she'd had her but it was at least a few years.

I have her out in an outdoor enclosure on nice days and mist her throughout the day and in the heated conservatory for the day in poor weather as I want her to get as much natural UV as possible. At night she's temporarily loose in my secure, tortoise proof reptile room with a heated, misted soil tub to sleep in, although she never digs down! I know the people she was rescued from didn't have her on soil so she probably doesn't dig as shes never been able to exhibit her natural behaviours properly. Hoping it will come with time.

I want to get her in the right set up for Winter as soon as possible so i can monitor her humidity better etc. but want to get everything right and know what I want first so I don't have to change or replace anything due to making the wrong decisions by not taking my time to plan out!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's perfectly okay for them to not dig down. I have several who don't. It's more to let them have the option and of course it does help with humidity (once more not a huge factor like it would be with a Homes or Erosa for example).

Am I missing it or have you said how large she is? What size area are you working with? Sorry if I am just blind and missed reading the answers.

bexhex

Sorry for delayed reply! I will have to remeasure SCL as I've stupidly least the piece of paper but I think she is around 15cm. She needs remeasuring anyway.

I have now ordered her a viv, with an extra bit of wood to fit to the front so I can have deeper substrate (up to 6 inches). Viv I have ordered is 5x2x2ft. I really wanted a 6ft viv but there was nowhere it would quote fit, however she will be out of it a lot when the garden is nice or in theconservatory with heating so she shouldnt be spending days upon end in there.

Thank you.