Wet hide

Leaninthesun

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa
Hello all,

i have a juvenile red foot in a large black cement mixing tub, with reptibark substrate mixed with sphagnum moss and organic top soil. It’s partially covered 80% with a clear plastic wrap. I also have a humidifier that keeps the humidity at 70%.

I’m noticing when I lift up his hide, one of those half cut logs, that the substrate is completely soaked underneath. Is this normal? I understand having two hides, one humid and one dry, but I’m curious if it’s too wet? It’s wet enough that there is a clear difference in the substrate on top and it’s pretty wet to the touch. I don’t want my little guy to get shell rot from laying on top wet substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

i have a juvenile red foot in a large black cement mixing tub, with reptibark substrate mixed with sphagnum moss and organic top soil. It’s partially covered 80% with a clear plastic wrap. I also have a humidifier that keeps the humidity at 70%.

I’m noticing when I lift up his hide, one of those half cut logs, that the substrate is completely soaked underneath. Is this normal? I understand having two hides, one humid and one dry, but I’m curious if it’s too wet? It’s wet enough that there is a clear difference in the substrate on top and it’s pretty wet to the touch. I don’t want my little guy to get shell rot from laying on top wet substrate.
Most of what you are doing needs to change.

There is no way to maintain the correct temps and humidity in an open topped tub. This doesn't even work for lower humidity species. You need a closed chamber with the heat and lights inside ASAP.

Torts should not be breathing the wet air from a humidifier.

Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate.

Moss does nothing and its an impaction risk.

70% humidity is too low. It needs to be over 80 all the time.

Half logs don't make a humid hide.

Wet substrate will definitely cause shell rot on a RF plastron, so that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Who sold you this tortoise without telling you all of this???

Here is some care info:

Leaninthesun

Tampa
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen the plastic bin ideas. When I transition to this, do I need to make sure there is enough air flow/oxygen in an enclosed chamber? If so, how do you do it?

I bought a black plastic hide with one opening as well, but I was unsure if the larger size would make my rft feel safe enough. Though I can switch them out.

I’ve read that a small amount of soil can be mixed in the bottom layer to help with humidity. But your new info is noted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen the plastic bin ideas. When I transition to this, do I need to make sure there is enough air flow/oxygen in an enclosed chamber? If so, how do you do it?

I bought a black plastic hide with one opening as well, but I was unsure if the larger size would make my rft feel safe enough. Though I can switch them out.

I’ve read that a small amount of soil can be mixed in the bottom layer to help with humidity. But your new info is noted.
Soil doesn't help humidity any better than orchid bark, cypress mulch or coco coir.

The bin will not be air tight. Plenty of air will get in and out. Here is how I do it: