What dish do you use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
Ok, here's something that I learned this week:

I used the typical pet store food dish when feeding Hemi. I didn't think twice about it--it is deep, but not too deep (at least so I thought). Earlier this week I had it in the dishwasher and had to use a lid for his food. I quickly noticed a difference in how he went to his food. Hemi went for his food faster (maybe cause he could see it better??) and he ate every last bite!! I think it was simply easier to see and get to. He could pull it and see it :)

The pet store dish is cool and all, but he may have missed meals because at his eye level he couldn't see his food. ?? Just an observation of a shy tort :) .thoughts? ...what do you use?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
It could also be because the food is easier to get too? Less of a chore!

I use a plastic (at the moment whilst Squirts a baby) plant pot tray. I'll use a terracotta one when she's older!
Works just fine and I tend to push it into the ground a bit otherwise she tips it all over herself in the process of scarfing down her food! Lol

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I just checked on Hemi and he's goin to town !! It's early and he's pigging out! This week i made a point to use this lid and he loves it! Whew-- nice to see him pigging out. Some leaves are bigger than him, so he's really diving in :) ! I stopped the bagged organic food-- changed over to real unbagged leaves and the like-- he's a happy boy :) in the summer hell have the terra-cotta for his outdoor pen too.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have the deep water/food bowl turned over and level with the substrate. that way the food just rests on top, is at eye level and the bottom of the bowl provides a hard surface for the beak to occasionally rub against.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
pdrobber said:
I have the deep water/food bowl turned over and level with the substrate. that way the food just rests on top, is at eye level and the bottom of the bowl provides a hard surface for the beak to occasionally rub against.

That's a good idea. I may try this. I'm also using some leaves as the dish to bring his food to him...huge leaves... but flipping this is a great idea. Thanks :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I use a terracotta plant pot dish for Emrys' water, and his food is just on a slate tile in the corner of his enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use the terra cotta unglazed for the food dishes. If you look around, you can find some (especially small ones) with very very small lips which works great for the little ones as they are almost flat. Then of course, deeper ones as they grow.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I use a clear glass plate... saucer size. No problems to report.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use solid dishwashable chopping boards for the leafy stuff. They're about about 1/4" thick. Ideal for chop and serve!

For the pellets, I use a plastic lid, or a shallow pet store feeding dish.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I use a terra cotta saucer as well.... I do find glazed ones work better for the water bowl... no funky weird slime.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the larger tortoises, I use the masony caps (flat stepping-stone-like caps that fit cinder blocks) and for the smaller tortoises, I use broken pieces of cement.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I went to my local rock yard and they actually gave me a small piece of slate. He actually tries to take bite out of it so it works great keeping his beak trimmed.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
cherylim said:
I use a terracotta plant pot dish for Emrys' water, and his food is just on a slate tile in the corner of his enclosure.

This is what i do as well.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
Like you I used a store pot reptile bowl, but I have defiantly observed what you are taking about. If my Red Foot doesn't see it like it may be a little to the left, he wont eat it. So I have to move it directly in front of his view.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't like for anything to go to waste....so when I purchase the Organic herb mix and baby lettuce mix...it comes in the clear plastic box thing...the lid is great as it is flat and had small lip...so I will use these for each of the RFs and they will use it about a week until I purchase the new stuff each week and the lid get switched out....they can crawl up onto the lid and have room to eat their food as well and the lip keeps it on the tray....after each time they eat I simply wash the tray and air dry it for the next day until it is replaced when the goodies are re-up'd..... :D

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
ascott said:
I don't like for anything to go to waste....so when I purchase the Organic herb mix and baby lettuce mix...it comes in the clear plastic box thing...the lid is great as it is flat and had small lip...so I will use these for each of the RFs and they will use it about a week until I purchase the new stuff each week and the lid get switched out....they can crawl up onto the lid and have room to eat their food as well and the lip keeps it on the tray....after each time they eat I simply wash the tray and air dry it for the next day until it is replaced when the goodies are re-up'd..... :D

Lol I use the container of my spring mix to soak my Sullys :p good ways to save money and use what's available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.