What do think RI or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I my 4+" sully has had a runny nose/bubbles off and on for the last week. He still eats normally and the nose is not running everyday, but the days that it is running he is opening his mouth. He is active as normal, munches in the yard, What do you think??

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That is a tuff one Jen. Could be stress or the heat, but then again maybe not. I know some do not get their torts checked unless they get thick discharge from the nose. I personally take mine in if they are blowing bubbles. One of my Greek males had a bit of a runny nose and I really wasn't concerned much. Much like others I thought if it gets thick I will have him seen. A year passed and then I saw him blowing bubbles and some open mouth breathing at times, I knew he had not eaten or drank in over an hour. I took him in and by the time I got him to a good vet (a week later) who did cultures etc., he had moved into pneumonia. I am glad I didn't wait any longer. He is healthy now but it could have been disastrous for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jenrell23 said:
I my 4+" sully has had a runny nose/bubbles off and on for the last week. He still eats normally and the nose is not running everyday, but the days that it is running he is opening his mouth. He is active as normal, munches in the yard, What do you think??

Open mouth breathing or gasping is usually a sign of pnuemonia. It certainly wouldn't hurt to take him to the vet. If he recommends Baytril, ask if you can use the tablets instead of injections.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.