What do ya think?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Mary looks like s/he's sleeping for awhile. Better get some rest while you can 😉

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't like the trim...the 2 top and bottom don't fit somehow and Mary's having a hard time grazing...and she is SO STONED...still today
Apparently she was anesthetized for the beak trim? Did they use gas or a shot or both? Some tortoises have a pretty hard time coming out of anesthesia. It can take several days. Just keep an eye on her if she gets into any water to make sure she doesn't inhale water because her head droops into it and if she gets out in the sun make sure she doesn't get pooped out and fail to move and get baked. Personally, I would remove any water from her enclosure for now and just let her drink or soak daily under my supervision until she is back to normal.

Also you are correct regarding the bite. The beak has been trimmed so much that there is no real contact which would enable her to bite off grass and other food items. She will probably learn to adapt to it by using her tongue against the roof of her mouth and upper beak for a while to rip things apart. In the meantime, if she likes Mazuri, you may need to chop up some other food items and put them in a fairly soft "Mazuri mush" to help her get the nutrition she needs. The beak(s) will grow back eventually, but with the amount that was removed, it will be a fair amount of time.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Apparently she was anesthetized for the beak trim? Did they use gas or a shot or both? Some tortoises have a pretty hard time coming out of anesthesia. It can take several days. Just keep an eye on her if she gets into any water to make sure she doesn't inhale water because her head droops into it and if she gets out in the sun make sure she doesn't get pooped out and fail to move and get baked. Personally, I would remove any water from her enclosure for now and just let her drink or soak daily under my supervision until she is back to normal.

Also you are correct regarding the bite. The beak has been trimmed so much that there is no real contact which would enable her to bite off grass and other food items. She will probably learn to adapt to it by using her tongue against the roof of her mouth and upper beak for a while to rip things apart. In the meantime, if she likes Mazuri, you may need to chop up some other food items and put them in a fairly soft "Mazuri mush" to help her get the nutrition she needs. The beak(s) will grow back eventually, but with the amount that was removed, it will be a fair amount of time.
Thanks, that's about what I thought. I mixed up a tort salad all cut up...she ate it all, but she's did have a little trouble. No gas, injection, and they did tell me that they had contacted her previous exotic Vet and were following the same protocol used by the other Vet, but she didn't act this way from the other Vet. It's Sunday evening and she's still rather dopey. But she is moving around more this evening...but it's pretty hot here, so maybe she's just tired from the whole experience. That Vet will be open tomorrow, so if Mary hasn't improved a bunch, I'm gonna call them...thanks for the advice

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello??!!
Maggie????
How is my little monkey doing today!?!?
I am thinking of you both! 🙏

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She started to act normal last night. I called the Vet yesterday, but she didn't call me back. Today Mary is walking round the yard, but the grass in her favorite pen is too short for that bottom jaw to bite. I noticed when the grass or weeds are bigger, she can get a grip better. But I am still supplement her feeding. I got a full produce box and cut some grape leafs, add day lillies, add dandelion leafs, pulled a bunch of Rose of Sharon leafs, so far she eating and acting alright. I don't mind cutting stuff up for her. But tomorrow I'm going to put her in the extension to her enclosure and close her in. She goes in and walks around but she hasn't eaten much there. So tomorrow I will use my example of tuff love. She either eats whats in that pen, or goes hungry.
I haven't been able to think of a decent way to point out that after the Vet got that $400 she is thru with us. Actually, that's a load of horse crap as the longer she tries to avoid me the more trouble I will cause. She said..."now honey if you think I need to do more you just let me know". Called me HONEY???DSCN1378.JPGDSCN1340.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
The vet is very condescending with the "honey" comment. That drives me crazy. The vet needs to fix their mistake. Logan looks great!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OK here is Mary 3 years ago after a beak trim...IMG_20210701_163352.jpg
and Friday...
dscn1720-jpg.358615

They really worked on the top, filing away but now the jaws don't meet...see how the bottom photo the upper side don't meet the bottom either...I don't know what to do...(deep sigh)