What to do?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Today is the 7th day of Mary Knobbins hunger strike, 3 days without poop. At first she was simply mad because of the rain, now I'm not sure. I have to pull her out of the sleeping box and kick her thru the doggie door into the gray day. Sulcata being what they are, I don't think I've ever had one that just stopped eating. She has been going out into the rain but it doesn't act like an URTI. I've got all kinds of gloom and doom running around my brain...any ideas?
100_0437.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Have you tried something irresistible to them (I'm sure you have), like hibuscus?
I don't have access to a hibiscus in the Pacific Northwest...but I do have Rose of Sharon growing for tortoises...I have too many to count right now, but the blooms are all eaten the leaves are gathered up, but Mary won't even look at them...and I think that is part of the problem
100_4848.JPG
She eats like this all spring and summer...but with the first frost...all gone...she stopped going out on her own so I pushed her out...but she's gotta get over herself...
100_0673.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know she's getting too big to easily handle her, but my suggestion is to clean and rinse your guest bath tub well and add warm water. Every fifteen minutes or so drain out a bit and add more hot to keep it overall warm. Just leave her in there for a long time. A couple hours or more isn't too long. I'm thinkin' a stone, and maybe this long soak will help it pass.

(pay attention during the soak to see if "Mary" might express "her" penis!)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
We hope Mary Knobbins or *Bert Knobbins? feels better. This is why I have Miss Dexter Persimmons.....But WE do hope Knobbins feels better soon and doesn't stress you too much....??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I know she's getting too big to easily handle her, but my suggestion is to clean and rinse your guest bath tub well and add warm water. Every fifteen minutes or so drain out a bit and add more hot to keep it overall warm. Just leave her in there for a long time. A couple hours or more isn't too long. I'm thinkin' a stone, and maybe this long soak will help it pass.

(pay attention during the soak to see if "Mary" might express "her" penis!)
Listen you...I was satisfied with Knobby...then you said he was a she...ok so now I have Mary Knobbins and you say maybe she is a he again? You need to stop messing with my sex... gonna lead me to drink...

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Ya, I know this will be a big challange, But a good warm soak, I'm sure would help getting things moving...

BirdHerder

Walla Walla, WA
I don't have access to a hibiscus in the Pacific Northwest
No answers for your problem, but I'm in SE Washington and have a big dinnerplate hibiscus that grows well here. It dies back every winter but grows just as big as the year before the next summer. It's getting ready to go dormant again but it still has some blossoms on it. You might be able to grow one too.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No answers for your problem, but I'm in SE Washington and have a big dinnerplate hibiscus that grows well here. It dies back every winter but grows just as big as the year before the next summer. It's getting ready to go dormant again but it still has some blossoms on it. You might be able to grow one too.
I do grow many Rose of Sharon, but the blooms are all gone now. Do you have an suckers or small starts...I know right where you are...a nice town with very good big Walla Walla onions...yes ma'am

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What's the latest. Has Mary decided to get back to being a tortoise?
Yes...first she let go with a massive amount of feces..second...I had spent time walking around my neighborhood weeding the neighbor's yards and this was the result...never fails...
I can't download new photos or post older ones...i fed her a amass of fresh dandelions...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Yay! Great news we are so happy ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes...first she let go with a massive amount of feces..second...I had spent time walking around my neighborhood weeding the neighbor's yards and this was the result...never fails...
I can't download new photos or post older ones...i fed her a amass of fresh dandelions...
Oh, such wonderful news.
I'm always saddened when someone post that their Tort, has not eaten in some time, along with some other symptom. And. . . after all POOP happens!

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
I think it's just a Sulcata being a Sulcata. My guy does that from time to time. He's now 13 years old and I've learned through the years that sometimes he just doesn't feel like coming out. After a few days, just about the time I'm really getting worried, out he comes! Ready to raise hell!