What do you think about this temperature controller?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good to me. Just make sure it handles all the watts you are using it for

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Sounds good to me. Just make sure it handles all the watts you are using it for
Thanks. It's got plenty of power so that's not a problem. It costs a little more than a standard controller.

I don't know how much I would use the dual temperature function. I don't understand what motivates a tortoise to move from his nice heated night box out into the sunlight even on a cooler day. Is it the light? I just figured that if he gets into the habit of spending certain hours out of the box, I could save energy by lowering the temperature during that time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks. It's got plenty of power so that's not a problem. It costs a little more than a standard controller.

I don't know how much I would use the dual temperature function. I don't understand what motivates a tortoise to move from his nice heated night box out into the sunlight even on a cooler day. Is it the light? I just figured that if he gets into the habit of spending certain hours out of the box, I could save energy by lowering the temperature during that time.
You live in CA, is he housed outside? If he is big enough, a night box like Tom uses, who is also in CA should save you lots. Look his thread up and see if that will help, if you haven't already

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You live in CA, is he housed outside? If he is big enough, a night box like Tom uses, who is also in CA should save you lots. Look his thread up and see if that will help, if you haven't already
Yes, he is outside and he is big. We built a night box and I'm heating it according to Tom's recommendations. It's fairly small box. I imagine it won't cost that much in electricity to keep warm.