What does everyone think about this?

Tortoisemomtobe23

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
I decided to start with one tortoise hatchling. I will see how it goes, then make the decision to get another one in a separate tortoise house. I have already found medical insurance for my baby, I also have a reptile vet who specializes in tortoises as well. Once I pick my baby up we are headed straight to the doctor for a check up. I am setting the house up first. My only issue is the food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I decided to start with one tortoise hatchling. I will see how it goes, then make the decision to get another one in a separate tortoise house. I have already found medical insurance for my baby, I also have a reptile vet who specializes in tortoises as well. Once I pick my baby up we are headed straight to the doctor for a check up. I am setting the house up first. My only issue is the food.
What species are you planning to get?

These open tortoise house are not suitable for any species, at any size, in any climate. They are too open for babies, and much too small for any adult. They also cannot stand up to the necessary moisture that a tortoise needs in its substrate. You need a large closed chamber for a hatchling. 2x4x2 feet, and preferably made of expanded PVC so that it won't rot in a few months.

There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Vets learn tortoise care from the same wrong sources that everyone else learns from. They often do more harm than good, even the ones who specialize in reptiles, because of the first two sentences in this paragraph.

I, and I think I can speak for most everyone here and say "we", want you to have a positive tortoise keeping experience. I'm not selling anything, and my hope is that your tortoise thrives and grows and that you have a life long love affair with Chelonians that blesses your life as mine has been blessed. With that goal in mind, PLEASE read this thread. Read it at least twice. At the bottom is a breakdown of the heating and lighting and two care sheets that cover most species.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree. It's a very poor choice for any species of tortoise. And especially one that requires specialized care as a baby.
It's the wrong type and the wrong size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did research for months and I came to this forum and everything I learned is completely wrong. It’s kind of frustrating.
You are not alone my friend! Almost everyone does that. Read the thread I linked for perspective on this. It will explain why you feel this way and what is going on in the first couple of paragraphs.

Take heart. You have found the promised land now. Unlike so many unlucky tortoise keepers, you found us first. You do NOT have to learn the hard way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I did research for months and I came to this forum and everything I learned is completely wrong. It’s kind of frustrating.
Most of us came here after we had tried for so long with the wrong information too.
Myself included

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Trust in Tom. 😇. Straight shooter & no BS. In the end you will have a healthy happy tortoise & save money by not purchasing things you don’t need or don’t work or are even harmful for your tortoise. Tom & the Forum will point you in the right direction - cheaper hardware store equipment vs expensive over-priced (not required) pet store stuff.

For example the “water” dish in the enclosure you posted. Your local Pet store will encourage that you purchase the one they have. TFO will explain why those dishes don’t work & can be lethal to your tort. We’ll point you to a terracotta plant saucer from WalMart.

25D7F9D1-CA55-468E-A1EC-422692F30F79.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A cheap and easy way to provide your baby with an enclosed enclosure is a very large plastic tub/bin and a sheet of plastic, like a plastic shower curtain. Here's one I cobbled together recently for a couple box turtles I found who were out in the cold and not hibernating:

covered enclosure 1-15-23 a.jpgcovered enclosure 1-15-23 b.jpgcovered enclosure 1-15-23 c.jpg

This is a Christmas tree storage bin mfg'd by Iris (very difficult to find anymore). It contains about three inches of fine grade orchid bark, some potted plants, a feeding tile and a small bowl for water. It is wrapped in a sheet of plastic film. The whole thing sits on a home made light stand (seen here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-quick-easy-light-stand.59992/

Hanging from the stand is a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb and a ceramic fixture on each end holding a 60 watt black light bulb (not recommended by other Forum members, but has worked very well for me for over 20 years).