What gender is my tortoise?

RyanTip

So when I got my tortoise I was told it was a male based on the tale. When I took it to the vet, I was told it was a female based on the shell structure on the stomach side. The stomach side would be concaved if it was a male to mount the female for reproduction. How can I tell myself?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
with Russians the concave shell is not a sexual characteristic. look at the tail and the vent on the tail a slit is a male a star or asterisk is a female easiest way to tell

W Shaw

If he's old enough to tell, females have very short, triangular tails, while males have longer tails, which they carry tucked to the side. Not all of the species show a distinct concavity in the plastron.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Post a picture of the tail n we can help. I would find another vet. That one doesn't know much about tortoises.

Reactions: Tom

RyanTip

If he's old enough to tell, females have very short, triangular tails, while males have longer tails, which they carry tucked to the side. Not all of the species show a distinct concavity in the plastron.
His tail is decently long and is tucked to the side so I would believe it is a male. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Male russians don't have concave plastrons. Time for a new vet. This one does not know common things about common tortoises. What else does he/she not know.