What is a CHE?

6strings

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Yes, we’re making the hatchling a closed chamber enclosure.

I like the use of the cake pan for the mounting of the socket! Great idea. BTW, CHE's heat objects below, not the air inbetween. The cage air temp can be 70 deg for example but the floor under the CHE can still be 90 deg easily depending on the distance to the CHE, the humidity, etc. It is still necessary to have a thermostat so that the CHE is cut off when the cage air temp gets high enough. I use an in-line lamp dimmer between the thermostat output and CHE socket. This way I can use a 60 or whatever WATT CHE but dim it down during the warmer seasons as needed.

Cherryman304

I like the use of the cake pan for the mounting of the socket! Great idea. BTW, CHE's heat objects below, not the air inbetween. The cage air temp can be 70 deg for example but the floor under the CHE can still be 90 deg easily depending on the distance to the CHE, the humidity, etc. It is still necessary to have a thermostat so that the CHE is cut off when the cage air temp gets high enough. I use an in-line lamp dimmer between the thermostat output and CHE socket. This way I can use a 60 or whatever WATT CHE but dim it down during the warmer seasons as needed.

I've since added a humidistat. Its definitely helped ALOT!

Attachments

• 20190527_154058.jpeg
    20190527_154058.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 34

saracheri

East Texas
Does anyone have experience or guidance regarding use of CHEs for a glass tank enclosure with a metal screen lid on top of the tank?

I haven't tried it. Too many questions I haven't sorted out, and I haven't done any experimenting. I was wondering if anybody else had tried it (installing a CHE on top of or above a metal screen top), or knew of someone who had.
That is what I am using for my leopard hatchling. I have him in a 36X 18 terrarium with a powersun for day and the 50 watt CHE for night sitting on top of screen on a timer..seems to be maintaining temps & humidity perfectly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
OK
SO...
An almost 2 year old post and both of those outdoors night box CHEs are still going strong.
I've replaced the outdoors extension cords AND the timer box and junctions due to sun degradation. But the CHEs are working like new and I'll be ready for those 3 chilly 55 degree nights this winter.
I love my CHEs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That is what I am using for my leopard hatchling. I have him in a 36X 18 terrarium with a powersun for day and the 50 watt CHE for night sitting on top of screen on a timer..seems to be maintaining temps & humidity perfectly.
That POWERSUN MVB light needs it's own thread.
Those are horrible. Ineffective. Desicating and inconsistent.( I have several that I tested with a UVB meter and a thermal heat gun. I also drank the KOOLAID)
Youd be MUCH better off with the CHE and a strip florescent during the day.
A powerful T5 HO can broadcast through a screen.
The UVB will be reduced, but would still be effective since you are using a short sided aquarium.
These strip florescent are about $50 and include the tube and everything. Ready to use.
Do not buy a T8 type strip uvb florescent. These won't provide ANY uvb through a screen. And not much without one at anything more than say 8".
T5 is the way to go.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

saracheri

East Texas
That POWERSUN MVB light needs it's own thread.
Those are horrible. Ineffective. Desicating and inconsistent.( I have several that I tested with a UVB meter and a thermal heat gun. I also drank the KOOLAID)
Youd be MUCH better off with the CHE and a strip florescent during the day.
A powerful T5 HO can broadcast through a screen.
The UVB will be reduced, but would still be effective since you are using a short sided aquarium.
These strip florescent are about $50 and include the tube and everything. Ready to use.
Do not buy a T8 type strip uvb florescent. These won't provide ANY uvb through a screen. And not much without one at anything more than say 8".
T5 is the way to go.
Thanks so much for the advice! I just ordered it from Amazon.

Yona

Abu Dhabi
@Tom Is it true that when first purchasing a CHE light, I need to run it for 4-6 hours in the open air to get rid of fumes and the first layer of paint? This is what I read heard some people say. Can someone please confirm?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Is it true that when first purchasing a CHE light, I need to run it for 4-6 hours in the open air to get rid of fumes and the first layer of paint? This is what I read heard some people say. Can someone please confirm?
Its not paint but they do have a smell the first time or two that you heat them up. I usually run them outdoors somewhere for an hour once or twice before using them inside a closed chamber.