What Is The Best Turtle Species?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This summer I plan on building a "Musk Turtle Creek" I want to build a "Pond" thats only 12-20 inches deep about 15-20 feet long. Of course fencing to keep em in and netting to keep the birds out. The water will slowly move from one side to the other with lots of little places for them to enjoy. And lots of basking areas as well. The personality on these Razorbacks is like any other Turtle I've ever witnessed. They are truly "Hyper" and love new places to climb, hide and just chill out. I acquired these guys by rescue but am sure I will have Razorbacks my whole life. They in an aquarium are like watching a TV.
Can we get pics of the turtles in question?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I thumbnailed the blood pic but here's your snapper. I absolutely Love these turtles. As some know I have ponds with turtles but these little guys are so cute. The Razorback is supposed to be the only real musk turtle that can swim well. I really look forward to building them a naturalistic environment for summers.

Wpagey

Southern California
That response is unnecessary. The OP was simply trying to keep the topic on turtles such as freshwater, muds, musk's etc., and not tortoises. Obviously, as the thread is in the water turtles section. So why take offence to his gentle reminder?
Chill…No offense taken. Sorry, I just saw a thread about the best turtle species, and since tortoises are turtles, joined in. I’ve googled a few of the species mentioned and enjoyed looking at some new things too. Not everyone is evil y’know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My razor back musk is the only turtle that when I pick up she sticks her head out and tries to get at my fingers. They're such a delight.
I'm not as experienced as some here with turtles, but I have had A LOT of aquatic turtles try to bite me. I don't hold it against them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just to add my favorite turtle to the thread that I've managed to see was a side neck. I wanted to rescue the darling so much. I don't have enough room or I would have. S/he was in a pet shop. Just the way the turtle swam around was beautiful. If I could take the care needed for that big of a tank I would have.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Poor little torts are probably in a class all their own. So t would have to be That.