What is this from??

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
my tortoise has been dealing with a bunch of issues lately and i am at a loss of what to do with her. I took her to the vet the 100th time and on an x ray they found she has a fracture as seen in the pics. What could this be from? She hasn’t been damaged or attacked so I’m confused. My guess it that the swelling in her legs might’ve cracked it. She has been sick for about a year and has had numerous concerning issues. Some one please give their input!! Has this happened before to other tortoises? The piece that is broken is physical movable, and yet the vet said it’s fully healed. i’m not sure if i believe that.

Attachments

• A613C8C7-361C-4936-83E7-8BC6ED1B51DE.jpeg
    A613C8C7-361C-4936-83E7-8BC6ED1B51DE.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 8
  • 709C0B25-6769-4D9A-9E82-B7AD3C25F102.jpeg
    709C0B25-6769-4D9A-9E82-B7AD3C25F102.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right, that isn't a hinge and it shouldn't move. But I haven't a clue how it happened.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We've been responding on your other post with the same content....
My thoughts are that you don't need to see that vet again. You need to find one that knows what they're doing because THIS one should not be treating tortoises
The tortoise was either dropped or stepped on or possibly bitten by a dog. All guesses. But what matters is that shell needs to be re attached so that it can heal.
Your vet sucks

avasims

rogers minnesota
We've been responding on your other post with the same content....
My thoughts are that you don't need to see that vet again. You need to find one that knows what they're doing because THIS one should not be treating tortoises
The tortoise was either dropped or stepped on or possibly bitten by a dog. All guesses. But what matters is that shell needs to be re attached so that it can heal.
Your vet sucks
amen

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just an off topic observation after viewing your posted photos. Your tortoise's tail and anal scutes look more like those of a male than those of a female. The plastron also looks somewhat concave just ahead of the anal scutes.

How sure are you that you have a female tortoise?

avasims

rogers minnesota
Just an off topic observation after viewing your posted photos. Your tortoise's tail and anal scutes look more like those of a male than those of a female. The plastron also looks somewhat concave just ahead of the anal scutes.

How sure are you that you have a female tortoise?
yes haha, i know it’s actually a male but we were told it was female and believed that for several years until maturity.. never got used to the adjustment so we still say she