shell fracture near pelvis

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
hello everyone. i just took peaches to the vet today to try to get her treat for the impaction. turns out there wasn’t one in fact not even constipation which threw me off… she hasn’t pooped that i know of in 3 weeks. they found a shell fracture near her pelvis along the line on the bottom of her. the vet believes this is because of the MBD that i know she has but i’m not convinced. We didn’t really find out what’s wrong with her besides her lungs looking a little off on the x-ray. are there any other reasons for this fracture? does this affect the tortoise at all?? is it painful?? the doc says it’s fully healed. but when i press on it it moves. i can try to get a video if possible. please anyone let me know if this is a bigger problem than the vet made it as well as why she isn’t pooping or eating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is healed, it's likely fine. Otherwise everything else looked good?
If I remember right, you had some temps you needed to improve on? Has that been done?
Are you sure she isn't eating her poop? Yes some will do that.
Greeks hibernate in the wild right? Maybe she is getting herself ready for that? They stop eating a couple weeks before hand to empty their gut. They can't hibernate with food in their gut.
Br sure you have her in a brightly lit enclosure for 12 hours a day and get the temps where the need to be and don't let it drop below 70 at night to help keep her out of trying to hibernate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can you post photos of the x ray?
I'm no doctor but I do have considerable experience with MBD and in treating it.
The entire skeletal system would show MBD. Especially the longer bones of the legs. There will be bending and not as much density as in the normal bone.
True MBD is very painful. It can be stopped. But the damage is permanent.
A cracked shell carapace doesn't sound like a MBD issue to me.
Is the shell squishy or hard? Just don't squeeze that particular area. It seems to be uncomfortable

avasims

rogers minnesota
Can you post photos of the x ray?
I'm no doctor but I do have considerable experience with MBD and in treating it.
The entire skeletal system would show MBD. Especially the longer bones of the legs. There will be bending and not as much density as in the normal bone.
True MBD is very painful. It can be stopped. But the damage is permanent.
A cracked shell carapace doesn't sound like a MBD issue to me.
Is the shell squishy or hard? Just don't squeeze that particular area. It seems to be uncomfortable
thankyou for the information. she’s excessively shedding but other than that her bones look ok, i think. i could try and get the photos from the doctor and you could let me know what y’all think. the part where is it cracked is able to be moved but the whole piece itself is not squishy. The whole shell seems pretty hard.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thankyou for the information. she’s excessively shedding but other than that her bones look ok, i think. i could try and get the photos from the doctor and you could let me know what y’all think. the part where is it cracked is able to be moved but the whole piece itself is not squishy. The whole shell seems pretty hard.
So. It's broken in two?
That's not good.
The vet didn't have a remedy for that?
Can you give us photos of thar injury? Hopefully one of our members will have a helpful idea

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it is healed, it's likely fine. Otherwise everything else looked good?
If I remember right, you had some temps you needed to improve on? Has that been done?
Are you sure she isn't eating her poop? Yes some will do that.
Greeks hibernate in the wild right? Maybe she is getting herself ready for that? They stop eating a couple weeks before hand to empty their gut. They can't hibernate with food in their gut.
Br sure you have her in a brightly lit enclosure for 12 hours a day and get the temps where the need to be and don't let it drop below 70 at night to help keep her out of trying to hibernate.
It doesn't sound like it's healed well.

avasims

rogers minnesota
So. It's broken in two?
That's not good.
Can you give us photos of thar injury? Hopefully one of our members will have a helpful idea
So. It's broken in two?
That's not good.
It doesn't sound like it's healed well.
hello everyone. i just took peaches to the vet today to try to get her treat for the impaction. turns out there wasn’t one in fact not even constipation which threw me off… she hasn’t pooped that i know of in 3 weeks. they found a shell fracture near her pelvis along the line on the bottom of her. the vet believes this is because of the MBD that i know she has but i’m not convinced. We didn’t really find out what’s wrong with her besides her lungs looking a little off on the x-ray. are there any other reasons for this fracture? does this affect the tortoise at all?? is it painful?? the doc says it’s fully healed. but when i press on it it moves. i can try to get a video if possible. please anyone let me know if this is a bigger problem than the vet made it as well as why she isn’t pooping or eating.
219458BA-DBA5-439E-BC8F-218F9189B627.jpeg

Attachments

• 5513126B-91DE-44F1-BB09-BE20319180CC.jpeg
    5513126B-91DE-44F1-BB09-BE20319180CC.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G
I would think some epoxy would work. Don't really know though.
If it is droopy then I would keep her on paper towel ad you don't want dirt getting in it.
I would also keep her inside as you don't need her banging it on hard surfaces or bugs getting into it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Peaches is male.

In order for new growth to attach to both sides of the crack it has to be stabilized so it doesn't move, and raised up so it's not drooping. It probably should also be scraped to make raw edges before it's stabilized. Rather than epoxy, I think small holes and zip ties.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Peaches is male.

In order for new growth to attach to both sides of the crack it has to be stabilized so it doesn't move, and raised up so it's not drooping. It probably should also be scraped to make raw edges before it's stabilized. Rather than epoxy, I think small holes and zip ties.
So we're in agreement that this IS NOT healed?

@avasims. You need to find another vet.