What is this?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Overall good news, sounds like he has a good will to survive.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
wow... they're in Florida

TortoiseShack.com
1-800-517-1809
6821 Industrial Ave.
Port Richey, Fl. 34668

I would actually recommend contacting the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida. They know so much about how to proceed with reporting these kinds of things: [email protected]

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank you so much for posting! That is unbelievable about the toes and his overall state. Poor little guy! The luckiest day of his little life was when he met you. I am also glad that you found a good vet! Lots of hugs your way, you are doing great!!

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
So glad to hear hes doing better. Poor little guy :( I felt so sad when you wrote about his little toe. He is in better hands now. Thats all that matters.Good luck with whatever you decide to do as far as the tortoiseshack.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would personally be sending a copy of the vet report to the company and demanding some compensation.

Good vibes heading your way!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did the vet say what she hoped to expect by giving the vitamin injection? I'm glad she wasn't able to determine the vitamin A dose...however, usually those three vitamins are already mixed together in one injection.

She didn't say what the two lumps were? The Critical Care is good. I hope your little guy gets better. Be sure to keep him warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
shellysmom said:
wow... they're in Florida

TortoiseShack.com
1-800-517-1809
6821 Industrial Ave.
Port Richey, Fl. 34668

I would actually recommend contacting the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida. They know so much about how to proceed with reporting these kinds of things: [email protected]

That is a BAD idea. Animal rightists do not help animal lovers or animals despite what the lies in their contrived pamphlets tell you. If animal cruelty is suspected, then the proper authorities should be notified. If this is a bad business transaction, then there are other ways to handle that.

Sounds to me like TewbowHammer has enough sense to handle this with out extremists with an agenda.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this post, but. Have you contacted the company and discussed the tortoise with them? I would suggest that you have a heart-to-heart with them before going all BBB on them, afterall, someone there..perhaps a new employee, may have packed the tortoise for shipment without their knowledge....these things do happen. If, at that time, you don't feel satisfied, do what you must to resolve the situation to your liking. Afterall, it's very likely that they purchased this tort from someone else and it already had these issues before being sent to you. I'm just saying, contact them, present them with your pics and the veterinary info and see if you can get a resolution that way.

doc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well said Doc. I agree. Give them a chance to explain and make it right.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Sounds to me like TewbowHammer has enough sense to handle this with out extremists with an agenda.
[/quote]

Pot, meet kettle.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I contacted the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida because they know how to route unknowing people to the proper authorities, Tom. Here's what they said:

Pasco County Animal Services would have the legal authority to investigate complaints of abuse/neglect at this business (contact them at 727834-3216 or email: [email protected]).

But you might have better luck with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. In recent months they've had several high-profile investigations of businesses/individuals selling wildlife online. They might be more willing to take a close look at this business. You can contact their regional office at 863-648-3203, or you can file a complaint online: http://legacy.myfwc.com/wildlifealert/ViolationRPT.asp?region=FWSW

I hope that helps. The person who received the sick tortoise may want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

That sounds like pretty reasonable advice to me, don't you think? By the way, I'm a Wildlife Biologist who worked for an Animal Rights organization for 5 years, so thanks for calling me a liar with an extremest agenda. That's extremely kind of you. Most activists do what they do because they want to increase compassion in the world and decrease violence. I'm sorry you are opposed to compassion.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Why did you call?

Glad this thread was bumped because I was thinking about Tebow. How's he doing on his meds?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
CtTortoiseMom said:
Why did you call?

Is that question for me? If I'm not mistaken, somewhere along the way, TebowHammer asked who s/he could report this incident to. If there's reason to believe a company is selling sick animals, wouldn't it be a good idea to have someone check it out? If everything is ok, and the company has nothing to hide, then it's no big deal. Nothing gained, nothing lost. Is that so wrong?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Before a lynch mob forms, the seller has a very generous 7 day health guarantee. Why wasn't this reported to them within that time period? They can't be expected to fix a situation that they're unaware of. Mistakes happen.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
shellysmom said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Why did you call?

Is that question for me? If I'm not mistaken, somewhere along the way, TebowHammer asked who s/he could report this incident to. If there's reason to believe a company is selling sick animals, wouldn't it be a good idea to have someone check it out? If everything is ok, and the company has nothing to hide, then it's no big deal. Nothing gained, nothing lost. Is that so wrong?

At the very least I don't think it was your place. As I am not Tebow's owner it is a moot point. I just hope he/she is on the mend.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
kyryah said:
Folks, please keep the thread on topic and not spin off into other areas.

Just to be clear, please let us know which posts can we comment on and follow up and which we should leave alone. Thank you. Doc

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Ewww, I saw that you got him from Turtleshack, why am I not surprised. On the Turtle side of the house, this place is known for just horrid care of their animals and have hundreds of complaints of people getting sick turtles from them. worse yet is that they constantly do these stupid buy one, get two free sells and gullible novices end up getting three Sliders, Softshell, Map, etc turtles not realizing that if they survive, they got three possible large turtles that are going to need upwards of 180 gal tanks in a few years. I myself had had bad run-ins with this joke of a Place, over the summer I ordered two Texas Maps and got Ouachita's instead, both with RI and they died within days. Place is terrible, besides shipping sick turtles, how do you get species mixed up. For me, if you want a well turtle, go to Turtlesource, Mark Cantos at least will personally respond to you and knows his stuff.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
CtTortoiseMom said:
shellysmom said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Why did you call?

At the very least I don't think it was your place. As I am not Tebow's owner it is a moot point. I just hope he/she is on the mend.

I did not file a complaint, I was merely trying to provide TebowHammer with some information I thought s/he wanted. I'm not quite sure I understand why your panties are in such a bunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.