What is this?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
No bunching. I asked a ques. Then answered yours. We all want the best for Tebow and owners.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
exoticsdr said:
kyryah said:
Folks, please keep the thread on topic and not spin off into other areas.

Just to be clear, please let us know which posts can we comment on and follow up and which we should leave alone. Thank you. Doc

Any posts pertaining directly to the health of Tebow are allowed.

shellysmom and CtTortoisemom, if you would like to continue your discussion please do so via PM.

Thank you.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
kyryah said:
exoticsdr said:
kyryah said:
Folks, please keep the thread on topic and not spin off into other areas.

Just to be clear, please let us know which posts can we comment on and follow up and which we should leave alone. Thank you. Doc

Any posts pertaining directly to the health of Tebow are allowed.

shellysmom and CtTortoisemom, if you would like to continue your discussion please do so via PM.

Thank you.

Sorry.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Fingers crossed for Tebow, sounds like he has great tortie parents taking very good care of him!! Keep up the good work, he is lucky to have you!!! You both are doing an awesome job!! He will be good as new in no time at all.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hi guys,

Seems like there's been some action going on in this thread since I last checked it! :)

I definitely understand giving the company the benefit of the doubt, and 100% agree with it. However, I am VERY UPSET with TurtleShack due to the condition Tebow was delivered in. Clearly, his sickness wasn't developed in the one day he was shipped to me. He was sick before they sent him.

Honestly, I did not know how bad of shape Tebow was in when I got him. To be frank, I didn't know what to look for (my fault entirely...should've done my proper research...however, there is a degree to where you have to rely on a company's quality of service and goods that you purchase from them...it is ENTIRELY their fault that a Sulcata in this bad of shape was sent in the first place.)

But honestly - that is the least of my concerns right now. The only thing that matters to my fiance and I is getting Tebow well...

And it has been (and still is) a constant struggle.

We're still feeding Tebow with a syringe (Oxford's Critical Care), however, it hasn't seemed to make a very noticeable difference. He is a tad bit more active, but nothing else.

He's still not eating on his own and he hasn't had a bowel movement (that I've seen) since the vet visit (which was Thursday).

We're hoping to take a trip back to the vet on Friday (but it might not be til' Monday). I have to travel an hour and a half away, and with my fiance and mine's schedules, it makes the trip a problem. But, there is no one closer.

One of the growths that was on Tebow's jaw has fallen off. I've been putting watered-down iodine on them (like the vet said - she thinks they might be ulcers developed from infection) every day. Well, I was wiping some dirt from around his mouth (gently) before I fed him and the growth on the right side just came right off.

This happened about an hour ago, and I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning. He seems to be okay (he doesn't look like he's in pain). Where the growth was at, there is now a small indention. I'm hoping and praying that that's a good sign, but I'll hopefully find out more info in the morning.

The only thing that's bothering me is that he has some raw flesh exposed around it. Until I can take him to the vet, what do you recommend putting on it? More iodine?

This is one TOUGH TORTOISE!!! He's a trooper and I'm VERY THANKFUL he got delivered to us.

I honestly am not sure if Tebow's gonna make it...but I'm hoping and praying that he pulls through. He's got a long life to live and I want him to live it to the fullest.

We're so thankful we've got the chance to save a Sulcata's life...and we're not taking it lightly.

Until the next update...

Tyler
P.S. He lost the other broken toe on Monday. It came off while he was outside getting some sun. The good news is that it doesn't seem to have affected his walking, balance, etc. Also, I'm a little worried about his plastron becoming softer. You can tell whenever you press down on it. It's not the hole plastron - just around the middle part of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You shouldn't keep putting iodine on the exposed new flesh. Use an antibiotic ointment or chlorhexidine.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
exoticsdr said:
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this post, but. Have you contacted the company and discussed the tortoise with them? I would suggest that you have a heart-to-heart with them before going all BBB on them, afterall, someone there..perhaps a new employee, may have packed the tortoise for shipment without their knowledge....these things do happen. If, at that time, you don't feel satisfied, do what you must to resolve the situation to your liking. Afterall, it's very likely that they purchased this tort from someone else and it already had these issues before being sent to you. I'm just saying, contact them, present them with your pics and the veterinary info and see if you can get a resolution that way.

doc
Well said!

M

Maggie Cummings

Put Neosporine on the indentation. I had a desert tort that was sick and I was feeding him Critical Care and I had to feed him for 3 months before he started eating on his own. So please don't give up on him after just a few days. It takes a long time for tortoises to show that they're sick and it certainly takes a long time for them to get well.
Be sure to put strained carrots in his soaking water every day too. Everything that you do makes the chances that he's gonna make it a little better. Get a smallish container and I use half the container of carrots and mix with water and soak for about 15 minutes. I put the carrots in every day that I soak him...[/u]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually put a bit of strained carrots or strained squash in the Oxbow Critical Care mixture too.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thank you Yvonne and Maggie for your valuable and knowledgeable input.

By strained carrots, are you meaning baby food carrots? Not experienced with cooking or children! :)

Oh and by the way...Tebow finally pooped! Very relieved to see a bowel movement.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my gosh poop is exciting all of your hard work is paying off!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, baby food. They soak in some of the nutrients thru the soft flesh under their chin and around the cloaca. It may not be a lot but it's some and in my opinion it all helps. I use carrots because I think there are more nutrients then in strained squash, but I don't know that for sure...Good luck with him and please don't give up on him...Recovery takes a long time...
Remember I said I fed Critical Care to a DT for 3 months before he started eating...

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hi guys...

It's been a while since I've posted, and for good reason.

Sadly...Tebow passed away a week ago.

I would have updated you sooner, but it's been tough to actually write about it. And I'm sorry, but I just can't go into the details.

We tried everything we could, but in the end it wasn't enough. He was a tough little sulcata, and he hung in as long as he could but the sickness finally took its toll.

My fiance and I just want to say thank you for all of your advice and support. We are so very grateful for all of it.

We are looking for another sulcata right now...one that is healthy.

I was going to purchase one from Tyler at TortoiseSupply (a juvenile), but sadly, he is sold out of them now. Do you have any recommendations on where we can purchase another one?

Thanks so much,

Tyler

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
So, so sorry. I know you did everything you could and any tortoise would be lucky to have you. I think you post in the "Wanted" section for a sulcata. Best of luck!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sorry for the loss.. i would recommend contacting a rescue and giving one a home that really needs one.
Use all you have learned and do right by one in need. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.