What is wrong with my tortoise's plastron?

randywrap

Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
Hi This is my first post on this forum.... Recently I rescued this 10 year old Eastern Hermann's Male tortoises at least I think thats what he is ? I have noticed that the plastron looks different then others I have seen. My question is this a normal looking plastron or in fact is there something that needs attention?....thanks in advance...Randy

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    928.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks pretty normal. The most recent growth looks like it was too dry, or maybe the wrong heat lamp, or the right heat lamp mounted too close?

Here is some care info. Look for the temperate species care sheet toward the bottom. Questions are welcome:

randywrap

Baltimore MD
Looks pretty normal. The most recent growth looks like it was too dry, or maybe the wrong heat lamp, or the right heat lamp mounted too close?

Here is some care info. Look for the temperate species care sheet toward the bottom. Questions are welcome:
Thanks very much!!! glad to be here.....and learn form this awesome forum.... this is the set up that came with him.... one of the lights is MV on the right ... the other is a ceramic heater top mounted just set it up.... The last owner did not soak him...I did so today for 15 min ...hopefully this will help...thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

randywrap

Baltimore MD
Thanks very much!!! glad to be here.....and learn form this awesome forum.... this is the set up that came with him.... one of the lights is MV on the right ... the other is a ceramic heater top mounted just set it up.... The last owner did not soak him...I did so today for 15 min ...hopefully this will help...thanks again
I did read through some of that great imfo will change out the MV set up,,

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did read through some of that great imfo will change out the MV set up,,
That MVB is definitely damaging the carapace and destroying the new growth. I'd get rid of that ASAP.

This set up is not terrible, but it's too small and too barren. It needs a basking slate of some sort, potted plants, and terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate as food and water bowls, and some "furniture" like boulders or logs.

For as long as the weather permits, a large outdoor enclosure would serve you well.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

randywrap

Baltimore MD
That MVB is definitely damaging the carapace and destroying the new growth. I'd get rid of that ASAP.

This set up is not terrible, but it's too small and too barren. It needs a basking slate of some sort, potted plants, and terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate as food and water bowls, and some "furniture" like boulders or logs.

For as long as the weather permits, a large outdoor enclosure would serve you well.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.
Thanks Tom yes just set it up today will get rid of the MVB and add the stuff you suggested ....thanks again...

Reactions: Tom